12/18/09

The Elves


When I was growing up, the elves came to our house seven days before Christmas, and started leaving something little in my stocking. It was awesome! We've decided to keep up this tradition with Jack.

Today was day one of the elves...and according to Jay (and Jack) I totally blew-it. The elves were going for the deal, and got Jack a toy pan and food so he could "cook." When he came upstairs to show us what the elves brought, he said, "Well, I didn't get the invisible machine that I really wanted. I got something I don't like. This pan and food. I would just want a real pan and real food to cook." Jay confirmed that this gift would have been good two years ago. I guess this elf was in denial that she's dealing with an almost-five-year-old!! I love that what he was really expecting was a machine to make himself invisible. I'll have to work on that.
On another note, Jack asked Jay to schedule a family meeting. :-) He wants to start doing chores so he can earn a new toy. I guess it's time to start making a chore chart. So far, I've only come up with four chores for him to do.
  • clear the table
  • make his bed
  • keep his toys picked up
  • dust

Does anyone have chore suggestions for a soon to be five year old?

5 comments:

  1. Ha! I LOVE The elf idea. We may steal it. :)

    As for chores... I guess we are just mean because we just expect our kids to make their beds every day, pick up their toys, and clear the table after they eat (put their stuff in the sink). They don't get any rewards for this, it's just part of getting to live in our house. :)

    Other ideas... setting the table (G & C love doing this), bringing the small trash cans downstairs to empty, putting the clean silverware away, bringing you his laundry??

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the Melissa & Doug Responsibility Chart, which I REALLY like. We just fail to use it in a meaningful way. Sigh. =P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Melissa & Doug recommendation. Love their stuff.

    Jack is also expected to clear his own plate and pick up his toys. But I was thinking the whole table. We're not so good about making the bed yet. He helps set the table, but I love the idea of putting the silverware away. He uses the laundry shoot. :-) Keep the suggestions coming mehr!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do lots of chores in our house also. Their room is their job as part of the family. We use monopoly money for other jobs that are done in the house and then have a "prize basket" they can shop in once a week. The boys can sweep and vacuum, wipe down counters or cupboards, fold laundry( not so pretty sometimes!), help unload the dishwasher,the little garbage cans, help with the baby,the the table, clear the table,and probably more I can not think of. I have 4 working kids so I need lots of jobs to go around!I let them do whatever they want to try most of the time.
    As for chore charts,there is a free website for making one where you can personalize it with a character and the jobs for the week on it. Let me find it and I will post it for you. We use these or we found a dry erase job chart at the dollar store that works well too. They like coloring the squares after they do a job.

    Meghan Allen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to ask my mom what she has done with hers at age 5 - I think it depends on the child - I was doing more at 5 than some kids could...but I was also the oldest of seven kids. :)

    My siblings are required (as I was when I lived at home) to do all of the dishes/kitchen clean-up. They pick up all their own toys and keep their rooms clean. They also have a rotating schedule to help Mom cook - I think it's one meal a week. However, some of those are big jobs and they only become reasonable when your kids get older...the ones who do that now in our family are Luke, Abby & Sam (15, 14, and 12). I think Kristen helps some with the dishes & cooking - she will be 9 next month...

    Joshua, the youngest, will be 5 in May - I'll find out what Mom is having him do now and let you know!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails