9/22/10

Sarah's Living Room: Virtually Redone


Sarah asked for my help with her window treatments and wanted to base the room on these pillows:

I was quick to point out to her that her coral, taupe and turquoise scheme played well with her fireplace:

Sarah has graciously agreed to let me share my suggestions not only her windows but the whole room. Thanks, Sarah!  

First, it would do everyone good to read this post from Sofa & Sage on what you need to know about hanging window treatments!

Let's start with the sliding doors and vertical blinds that are driving Sarah crazy.  

My first order of business would be to paint the trim around the windows, doors, and baseboards a creamy white.  I'm thinking either "heavy cream" or "glass of milk" by Martha Stewart.  This would make the biggest change to the space.  If she really wanted to spoil me, she would paint the ceiling beams too.  Remove the hardware and blinds from the window and mount this clear ball drapery rod directly under the ceiling beam.  {Again, read be sure to read what you need to know about hanging window treatments!}  Sarah could use a little sparkle with all that wood and stone.
Add these Merette panels from Ikea.  I chose them because the grommet top adds a modern touch to the space while the taupe/cream color ties into the fireplace.  It's all about the fireplace for me.  Plus, they are very long and can be hemmed for the correct length. I might also add turquoise pom pom trim to the inside edge for a more custom and unexpected look.

I would do the same treatment here except add white fabric roman shade inside the windows.  Remember to mount the drapery rod directly under the ceiling beams!  I considered a bamboo shade, but next to all of that wood I think the softness of fabric would be best.
Similar to this!


Here is an example of the two treatments together:

Then I would recommend the same treatment on this window.  The panels from Ikea are so inexpensive that you could put two on each side.  
Another option is to mount the drapery panels first to see if they provide enough privacy, and then determine if you want to add the shades.


Tired of the window talk?
I would also move the furniture.
{Is anyone still reading this looooooong post besides Sarah?}

Let's pull the couch away from the wall and float it in the middle of the room with its back toward the dinning room, and facing the fireplace.  
Also, turn the table parallel to the couch and center it more in the room.

Now that this wall is free of the couch
we can move the armoire to a bedroom 

and put the TV between the fireplace and the window (old couch wall) on something like this:
or maybe on a little more contemporary stand but you get the idea.

 I would move these chairs to flank the fireplace.

It's all about the fireplace.

Finally, wouldn't this fabric from Martyn Lawrence add more pretty to the room?  I would frame a large piece of this as art.  And if we're really going to go crazy let's add a mantle to the fireplace and put this framed fabric on top.  
Thank you, Sarah, for inviting me into your home!  

If you are a regular reader you may be wondering what is happening with Kara and Tom's house.  After our consultation they decided to make some pretty significant changes, like drywalling the fireplace and creating a new mantle and surround.  This takes time.  I will keep you updated after changes are made.

If you would like my help with space planning, color selections, window treatments, or just shopping for finishing touches, 
please e-mail me at abbyandherboys@gmail.com to schedule a consultation.  
You may also e-mail pictures for a virtual consultation.
New to my blog?  Click here.

20 comments:

  1. Pretty suggestions. Would love to see the after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to see the after shots as well! ;-) Sarah?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha ha! I will definitely get you some after shots! Now that I am back online, I can finally take a look and so far, I love what I see! Thanks Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait for the afters either! :)
    Love that fabric from Martyn Lawrence .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hardly leave responses, however after reading
    through a few of the comments on this page "Sarah's Living Room: Virtually Redone".
    I do have a couple of questions for you if it's allright. Could it be just me or do some of these responses look like they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at additional sites, I'd like to follow everything fresh
    you have to post. Could you post a list of the complete
    urls of all your social community pages like your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?



    Also visit my web page; Kickboxing and Moobs

    ReplyDelete
  6. We stumbled over here coming from a different web address and thought
    I should check things out. I like what I see so
    i am just following you. Look forward to going over your
    web page yet again.

    my homepage: chestfatburner.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I enjoy reading all of your article post. I wanted to write a
    little comment to support you.

    Here is my webpage ... Finest areas to find gynecomastiaaid

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think this is one of the such a lot vital info for me.
    And i'm glad reading your article. However want to statement on some common things, The site taste is wonderful, the articles is actually nice : D. Excellent activity, cheers

    Here is my web page; http://chestfatburner.com/treating-gynecomastia-with-plastic-surgery-is-it-the-only-way/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good day! I know this is kinda off topic but I was
    wondering if you knew where I could find a captcha plugin for my comment form?
    I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having problems finding one?

    Thanks a lot!

    Also visit my blog post ... Inheritance of gynecomastiathroughout male kids

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so cool! I don't believe I've truly read a single thing like this before.
    So good to discover somebody with genuine thoughts
    on this subject. Seriously.. thanks for starting this up.
    This web site is one thing that is needed on
    the web, someone with a bit of originality!


    Look at my web-site: Chestfatburner.Com

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you wish for to grow your familiarity only keep
    visiting this site and be updated with the most up-to-date gossip posted here.


    my webpage: The actual consequences associated with gynecomastia

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of precious familiarity on the topic
    of unexpected feelings.

    Also visit my homepage: Unfastened those ugly moobs

    ReplyDelete
  13. Social media has also made it possible for people from different countries
    to develop effective How To Get A Man And
    Keep Him Tips. To explain in simple terms all the above qualification are needed in considerable
    amount for the long distance relationship is the mode of communication.
    If you're in a relationship and leaves the other as a mere spectator. So, when your early warning signs of defensiveness.

    my webpage; getting your man back

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just couldn't depart your site before suggesting that
    I really enjoyed the standard info a person supply for your guests?
    Is going to be back ceaselessly in order to check up on new posts

    Also visit my weblog myvegas slots Free Chips (facebook.com)

    ReplyDelete
  15. For example, I found a site that featured cuties sleeping.

    Nothing is too taboo for the naughty shemales
    of the T-Girl Network. There are fierce competition here, nevertheless the prize is worth the fight.


    my website - hot chicks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, fantastic weblog layout! How lengthy have you
    ever been running a blog for? you make blogging
    look easy. The total glance of your website is fantastic,
    as well as the content!

    my website - aidra fox video ()

    ReplyDelete
  17. Add'testosterone acquire crammed ʝust by missing ɑs soon aѕ ρossible reveals, regularly lоoқ at switching any note in tҺіs information placinjg note wіthіn thhe
    stack. Α profession Implement: Іf yoսr lіttle child thinks about the pгoblem with regarɗs to а occupation tɦroughout
    photography, ɑ fresh digital camera Һas to be excellent gift.
    Τɦe overall game halts ԝhenever forget about takes оn copme oг perhhaps iff tɦe player wins Ьy integrating some of thе plastic ɑt the amoսnt of 12.


    Here іs my blog - solitaire download

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello! I simply want to give you a big thumbs up for
    the great information you've got here on this post. I will be coming back to your
    blog for more soon.

    My web page; курсы со станозололом

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really no matter if someone doesn't know after that iits up to other vieitors that they will assist,
    so here it takes place.

    annonces rencontre (sitemapgenerator.ru)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Greetings from Florida! I'm bored at work so I decided to browse your site on my iphone during lunch break.
    I love the info you provide here and can't wait to take a
    look when I get home. I'm surprised at how fast your blog loaded
    on my cell phone .. I'm not even using WIFI, just 3G ..
    Anyways, fantastic blog!

    Feel free to visit my web-site webcam porno

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails