6/23/10

Kara & Tom's House: Virtually Redone

Tom and Kara recently asked me for my thoughts on their new house.  They have not lived there long, and were looking for any ideas I had towards making their home more "cohesive."  Their house is very large, so we're starting with the kitchen, porch, and living room.  

Here is what they said: 
  • traditional country
  • rustic
  • Michigan lake shore 
  • keeping the furniture and not making any major purchases
  • Tom is great with projects, and Kara can make a mean throw-pillow!
Inspiration Rooms from Kara



Here is what I think:
  • Southern Living meets rustic lake house 
  • Pull together a color palette, through paint and fabric: unify the rooms
  • Help Tom and Kara feel more at home in their house
  • Create more color overall
  • Recommended color palette for the house pictured below











These are my recommendations, and I realize they might not like them all, but at least they can use them as a jumping off point.  Here we go!

Kitchen

  • They plan to remodel the kitchen, and want to keep the wallpaper for now.  
  • The main element to change is the chandelier.  I like this option, plus it matches the hood, and hardware on the cabinets.  
  • Another idea would be to spray-paint the fixture they have.

Porch
  • Paint the trim around the windows along with the ceiling beams white.
  • Add a 5x7, outdoor, navy and white striped rug in the seating area.

Living Room


  • Keep the paint color they recently put on the walls
  • Paint the fireplace white
  • Michigan Americana photo for above the fireplace (they were hoping to use this artist)
  • Add a chunky, rustic mantle (project for Tom)
  • Replace built-in shelves in white
  • Use the paisley fabric as drapes, on the slider by the fireplace, and the slider to the porch
  • Pull the navy and the red out of the drapes with new pillow fabrics
  • Green accents, again being pulled from the drapery panels
  • I would also switch the furniture arrangement, but we can do that in person.  
Source List
Thank you Kara and Tom, for letting me and my blog in your home!!  I hope you like what you see, and that this gives you a place to start.


What do you think?  Would you want this type of style in your house? What is your favorite element or suggested change that I have made?

 If you would like a room in your house "virtually redone", email me abbymanchesky@gmail.com.

    6 comments:

    1. Wow - Thanks! Loving the ideas :) So, the big question is when are you coming over? ;)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Good stuff! Need to noodle on shelves / mantle / painting / staining etc.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Thanks Kristen! Kara- I'm hoping to get over there in the first few weeks of July.

      ReplyDelete
    4. Yeah! Also - can you email me where all the stuff is from that you had in the collages? We need to figure out a way for you to make a collage that links you to the website, and then you get a kickback ;)

      ReplyDelete
    5. I will make a source list and add it as an update to this post!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts with Thumbnails