In an effort to be brief, here are some of the highlights of our relaxing trip to Cozumel, Mexico.
1. The first day in the pool, Jack was wearing floaties and clinging to Jay. By the end of the week, he was jumping in with NO floaties, and swimming under water without holding his nose! We were beyond proud, even though it had nothing to do with our supreme parenting/teaching, and everything to do with peer pressure. All of the other kids at the resort were older, and therefore, not using anything to help them swim. ;-)
2. Jack wrote a song about his dad while playing in the pool. Here it is.
Dad, Dad, Dad, Dad, I love my dad.
He's so sweet and kind. (you need to really draw out the "i" in kind)
Dad, dad, dad, dad, I love him so much.
I never want to let him go. (again, drawing out the "o" in go)
This is very funny to hear and watch in person.
3. Jack's favorite part of the trip, was by far, the food. He is seriously his mother's child. My dad and Jack ate ice cream every day after lunch by the pool. Jack would say, "You know what I'm thinkin about!" --with a little wink and and a smile, and they'd go get Hagen Daz. Basically, vacation food for jack consisted of virgin strawberry daiquiris, hot dogs, pizza, fruit, and ice cream. Thank goodness we came home!
4. The only time we left the hotel was to do the Dolphin Encounter. If you ever have a chance to do this, I would highly recommend it...especially with children. At first Jack was scared, because we were standing on a platform, deep in the ocean, wearing life jackets! But after kissing, shaking hands, and tickling the dolphin's belly button he was asking if we could come back.
5. The water was incredibly clear, and my dad and Jay spent most of their time snorkeling right off the dock of the hotel. I, personally dislike the ocean with a passion, and had no desire to see the sting rays, nursery sharks, and the barracudas. Yes, I'm a wimp.
6. I was reminded how much I still love the Spanish language. You forget when you're not around anyone speaking Spanish, but it is so beautiful, and I'm always surprised by how much I can remember. Jack enjoyed learning new words as well! When jay took jack to Costco (back in GR) Jack asked the man for, "pizza por favor."
7. One of the best vacation purchases we made were the swim shirts for Jack. Many vendors sell them, but his were from Land's End Kids. They have tons of sunscreen protection built-in and they dry very quickly. Jack wore the long sleeve one almost daily and we never had to worry about his back getting burned, and dragging him out of the pool every hour to re-apply. The shirts were worth every penny!


I've been waiting for you to add Mexico to this!!
ReplyDelete1. How great that Jack can swim!! He is going to have so much (more) fun in Alpena this summer!!
2. Sounds like my kind of vacation food! Except for the "virgin" part of drinks!
3. Dirty salt water ocean with fish and stuff? No way :) I would have TOTALLY stayed with you by the pool.
Fun to read Abby. You have been quite the jet setter this year. I love Mexico. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteTricia
Glad to hear about the swim shirts. I bought one for Jacob in Florida last month.