11/6/09

Super Hero

We had a super hero in our house again, this Halloween.





Chances are, if you have a boy between the ages of 2-10, you may have had a super hero in your house too! Although it is probably not appropriate for me to let Jack watch Batman on TV, I've been careful to explain that Batman is doing all of that to "save the world." I've had too much time on my hands to think lately, with Jack being sick, and after reading a different blog, I've been wondering what we are leaving to Jack and baby "H". Will it be a love for music? food? Jesus? Or less beautiful things like selfishness, unkind words, etc. Either way, I think maybe it's time I introduce him to a real Super Hero.


Meet Brett.


We went to high school together, but did not know eachother very well. Thanks to facebook, somehow we have connected. I don't mean to over spiritualize this, but I am convinced that God has put Brett and his wife Angie on my heart in a special way. I don't know any other way to explain this season. He is currently serving you in his second deployment...first to Iraq, and now Afghanistan. He flies helicopters, saves lives, misses his family, so that I can be free to take care of mine. I imagine most of us know someone serving in the military, but I would encourage you to read some of the nitty-gritty parts of the three messages I've received from Brett this week.


well things have been pretty crazy here lately! i'm just about down to a month left. the unit that is replacing us, is slowly starting to trickle in, and so is their aircraft. big huge C-5 air force planes with 4 black hawks on them have begun to arrive! we did a test flight on one today for them. the quicker they get here and start flying, the sooner we can concentrate on going home. i have to be out of my room here between the 15th-17th of november...then i move into a tent to live in for two weeks, with basically just my carry-on, ruck sack, and big green duffle. not really looking forward to that. i've packed so much away in 3 tuff boxes, and it still looks like i have so much stuff left in my room :( this has been a very different deployment than my last one in iraq. no injuries this time, thank goodness, but saw much more this deployment than i thought i would. flying med evac missions really opened me up to things. knowing people on bases that got over-ran by the taliban and listening to what they went thru during those times...flying high ranking generals, including general mcchrystal, and not having to haul around detainees. and somehow i still got some left for a couple more deployments. i'm very blessed to have a wife like ang! she's been unbelievable with taking care of things back home! we've had 4 divorces in my company since we left last december, due to cheating spouses. i just thank my lucky stars that i have a wife who has the discipline and love to remain faithful. it's been hard seeing my youngest grow up on the internet. since she was born, april 28, 2007, i've been home...4 months, roughly. it's so extremely tough being away. i try so hard when im at work, but usually lose it when i get back to my room...i'm somehow able to put on a good front and make everyone's day better, trying to make sure everyone smiles everyday. but thats what i'm about...putting everyones feelings before mine.


your message was a great thing to come back to my room to...had a very bad day, but on a good note, i saved a captain's life. i had to run out while taking fire and threw him in the helicopter. my whole crew is getting put in for a CAB (Combat Action Badge) which is very hard to get here. things got a little too real yesterday! and i spent the whole day today thinking about it. i just couldnt get it off my mind. tonight i filled out a sworn statement, and i guess thats the last thing they need from us before the approval process. but not to worry...no one was hurt...well that captain banged his shin on the floor as i threw him in the helicopter, but when we finished our mission, he walked up to me...shook my hand, gave me a coin, gave me a hug, and said thank you. that was about the best thing about yesterday...so i wear that coin, which is shaped like a dog tag, around my neck with my actual dog tags...something to remember that and him by.
still not getting much sleep.


only got about 3 hrs last night. and i've been flying almost everyday since the incident happened. hope this passes soon...i'm so tired, but when i get in my bed and try to fall asleep...i just toss and turn. if i had a full head of hair to pull out...i'd pull it out lol


Yep, a real Super Hero. Batman has nothing on Brett, or his warrior wife, Angie. Did you catch the part where he says he thinks he still has a couple more deployments left in him? This November, I'm thankful for Brett and his fellow service men and women.


*If you would like to help me honor Brett's family in a special way this Christmas, please let me know.*


3 comments:

  1. Hi, I am Brett's Aunt Loretta(his mother's sister). Thank you for your kinds words of Brett and Angie. They truly are everything you said in your message. Please continue to pray for Brett's safe return, for his cousin, Trenton Williams in Iraq and for all the services men and women so selfishly giving their lives and hearts for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with you Abby, Brett & all the men & women that serve either stateside or overseas are all HEROES!! I will pray for his safe return. Thank you for updating us for him!! I am very grateful to all veterans, I am married to one!! I know what they go through without it being wartime. God Bless our Troops!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails