1/20/10

Baby "H" Take One

My pregnancy with baby "H" has been a roller coaster. Although physically, this pregnancy has been incredibly easier than being pregnant with Jack, I would say that fear has been present since the beginning. After our miscarriage, we were anxious to make the 12 week mark with baby "H". Then the 20 week ultrasound came, and that was not 100 % positive. By the 31 week mark, he started to measure two weeks smaller than his gestational age. But, the doctors weren't too worried, we would just "watch him." By 36 weeks we had our 3rd ultrasound and he had dropped from the 22nd percentile to the 11th. Once they hit the 10th percentile, your pregnancy is considered high risk for still birth and lack of oxygen to the baby. So they scheduled the big induction for 37 1/2 weeks. Jay took this picture right before we left for the hospital. You can even see our bags packed in the background.


We got to the hospital early, and after the long check-in process, they put me on pitocin. They wanted to do a stress test, to see how baby and I could handle the contractions. The goal for the test was to have 3 contractions in 10 minutes. The nurse warned me that this should take a couple hours. Shockingly, I had 3 contractions in the first 10 minutes I was on the drug! The baby responded so well, that they took me off pitocin because he passed the test, and they still were not sure if they would induce for real.

Wait a few hours.

The specialist/high-risk OB came in with his ultrasound machine and took a million measurements. The picture was so detailed we could see the hair on his head! He said a few scary things, as to why he might be small, etc., but that he had to go back to his office to crunch the numbers.

Wait 4 more hours.

My OB came back to the hospital to tell me according to the specialist, he was in the 14th percentile, and that they would not advise inducing. It would be better for his lungs for him to stay in longer because he is not in distress. So after 11 hours at the hospital with an IV, bad cable, and no food, we left without a baby. My mom, did however treat us to my favorite dinner at The Green Well restaurant. The grilled ham and cheese sandwich almost made-up for not holding baby "H".

Now, I will go in for non-stress-test twice a week, and another ultrasound before this is over, to make sure that he is still doing well.

I have been truly overwhelmed by the kindness of everyone! Saying thank you does not feel like enough, but I really am incredibly grateful for all the support we have been given.

2 comments:

  1. The room looks amazing and you are as gorgeous as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby,
    My pregnancy with Jacob was somewhat similar. I only gained 17 lbs. 9 days before my due date I went in for my weekly appt. My belly hadn't grown any since the last week. He wanted to induce because he was worried Jacob wasn't thriving. I said no but consented to a fetal monitor and an ultrasound. I didn't mention that I was 5 cm dialated at that appt. We went to the hospital full of fear. By the time I was on the ultrasound table I was in full blown hard contraction labor. The tech said I can't see the baby. Get this woman upstairs before she has the baby on my table. Jacob was 6 lbs 11 oz. Tiny but very healthy and clearly a thriving little boy. H will be as well. They're just trying to do their jobs but sometimes they don't realize the power of their words. One word of advice which may not apply to your situation at all...Jacob was a ravenous eater. I don't think that's why I gained much weight...he was taking it all. I quit breast feeding at 4 months because I simply didn't have enough milk for him. Keep an eye out for that. Well, we all have our stories don't we. You certainly didn't need to hear this much of mine. I can't wait to see pictures.
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails