7/8/10
Depression Glass
Are you familiar with Depression Glass? This translucent glassware was distributed free, or at a very low cost around the time of the Great Depression. This three piece set is another one of the housewares I have acquired. I think they are incredibly beautiful, and I'm just tickled that they are green!
I did not want to bring them home, just to keep them in a box in our basement, collecting spiders. So here is what I did.
I think they look great on our built-ins in the den. When we bought this house, the previous owners had painted the WHOLE room tan: the shelves, the trim, the windows, the door to the deck, the cabinets. We finally painted everything white, except for the Wedgewood Grey above the chair rail. Looking back, I wish we would have painted the backs of the shelves Wedgewood Grey as well. All that to say, I thought this Depression Glass would add color to all the white on the shelves.
What I find funny or interesting, take your pick, is that my grandmother's Depression Glass looks very similar to the glasses I recently purchased at World Market. I'm in love with their vintage style.
Do you have any Depression Glass? Do you like the look of it? If you are interested in learning more about these antiques, click HERE.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







Love it, Abby! I have some Depression Glass bowls and platters that were grandmother's. Apparently you could collect them at gas stations, where they would give out glassware with your gasoline purchase. :)
ReplyDeleteI love it. I have some pink depression glass plates that were my grandmothers. I use them when we have company to serve dessert. I just found your blog yesterday and am already enjoying it (I'm the one who commented I have a 3 year old son Holden)
ReplyDeleteMy grandma has depression glass in baby pink. Two entire place settings. Someday I will get them, but with my crazy loud house I am afraid to have them out! I have seen the blue and I have to say that is my favorite! There is another set, similar to depression that was an AVON collection many years ago. My grandma has this set in deep red. Gorgeous! She collected those at least 40 + years ago and the depression before that I think.
ReplyDeleteMeg Allen
These stories are so fun to read. I wish I knew how to let you upload photos to your comments so I could so see everyone's collections. To my anonymous Canadian reader--Welcome! So glad you came back for another visit!
ReplyDeleteI'm not trying to be an anonymous Canadian - I just don't have accounts with any of the options.
ReplyDeleteI love it!!! My grandma has lots of it in pink it is beautiful. And where is there a world market that is still open? I love that store...the one in Novi closed and that was the only one I knew of.
ReplyDeleteKrissy
When I met my husband, his family was sorting through their grandparents' things, and there was a lot of depression glass. So as a topic of conversation when I was getting to know his family, they would always say, "Have you ever heard of depression glass?" or "Are you familiar with depression glass?" So now it is kind of a family joke because I kept having to talk to them about depression glass. Now we have lots depression glass that we inherited just sitting in storage. Your post has inspired me to get it out and display it!
ReplyDeleteWell I am glad you are here even if I do not know your name. :-)
ReplyDeleteKrissy- There is a W.M. on 28th street in Grand Rapids. Swing by when you visit your sister!
Sarah- I'm so glad you are thinking of displaying your glass! Be sure to take a picture when it is out. What a funny story!