7/6/10

Have You Ever Bought a Share of the Farm?


Simple Kids wrote a post on your local CSA: Community Supported Agriculture.  I have to say they caught my attention.  We live in such an agricultural state, that it seems a shame not to take advantage of all the farms in our area, and to give them our business!  
Basically, you can buy a "share" or a "1/2 share" of the farm, and depending on what they offer, you get to pick up your organic produce every week directly from the farm.  Thankfully, the farms in our area have different spots for pick-up to make your life easier.  


There are a few different reasons why I like this idea.  First, taken from Simple Kids, is that I want my children to grow up knowing that food does not just come from a box at Costco...and we LOVE Costco.  Second, it stretches me as a home cook.  Whatever veggies or produce they give you is what you have for that week, and I love the idea of cooking with produce I wouldn't normally buy at the store.  Finally, we need healthier snacks around here.  I think overall I do a decent job of keeping our kitchen healthy, but let's be honest, an organic pop-tart sneaks in once in a while.  


Have you ever bought a share of the farm?  If not, would you consider this option?  Do you frequent the farmers market in your neighborhood?  If you are interested in discovering what is available in your area, click HERE and enter your zip code!  

7 comments:

  1. I have never bought a share but I would love to someday. Right now I just don't have the time to cook as much as I'd like...I'd feel so bad about all those beautiful veggies going to waste! I do walk to the farmer's market almost every Saturday though. I love the idea of going old school and only making what is in season. That was the way our grandparents did it and they always made the best food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole-
    If seasonal eating interests you, get a copy of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Kingsolver! Here is her website. http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is something almost sacred in living off the land and getting your food from a farm, rather than a grocery store. When I was in high school I worked on a vegetable and fruit farm during the summer, and most of my extended family are all farmers. I think being a part of a farm and supporting local farmers is a great idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby -
    We have done the Trillium Haven CSA in the past and even though we are veggie lovers, it was a lot of work to keep up! We went back to just doing the farmers market and buying what we know we will use! I wanted to share this link though - a girl that I went to high school with just joined a CSA and is blogging about her experience: http://www.theroadtoveggiedise.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen-
    Thanks for letting me know about her blog. I will check it out! Michael Ruhlman (under my food blogs) is cooking his way through his CSA experience as well, in case you are looking for a way to finish off a pound of radishes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Abby! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. Our CSA adventure has only started so I hope you stick around to see what I am up to :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Abby! If you have never been to the Holland Farmer's Market, you should really check it out. We go every Saturday with the girls, and actually bought a share at Fat Blossom Farm this summer. Overall, we have been satisfied. They provide newsletters every week with recipes that use the vegetables and fruits harvested that week, and there are opportunities to visit and volunteer at the farm with the kids. It's also nice to talk to the owners every week - they haven given us a lot of tips for our garden! Anyhow, check them out: http://www.fatblossom.com/Site/Home_.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails