I wanted to take the boys to the Ada Farmer's Market with Marta. We both have very young babies, plus I have a Jack. Going to the Farmer's Market is a short little outing that should be easy to accomplish. But like most plans I make, they evolve through the day, depending on the kids. We wanted to meet at the market early in the day, but the baby's schedules kept us from meeting until 3:00 in the afternoon. This seems to be the trend lately. I make grand plans, and then they morph into something else.
That's the story of our week. I had many intentions and plans for what I wanted to post, but life had other ideas. Here is an update. My mom came to visit us through the weekend, and we had a wonderful time. She left Monday, and that's when I fired our Realtor. Although he was very nice, it was not working out...we needed someone who cared more. Tuesday morning Jay told me that he didn't think we would move in time, and that I needed to "look into" the public schools in our district. I went to public schools, and I know some of them are very good. But the public schools in our specific area are not so good. And I would rather home school (although I have no desire to do that) than send Jack to public where we live now. So I had a minor melt-down in my head. Then I called the district I'm hoping to move to, and "school of choice" has closed the window for the year. (Duh, it's July.) Then I called one of the three charter schools I applied to, because last time I checked, we were number 26 on the list. When she looked-up Jack's name he was NUMBER ONE on the waiting list for Kindergarten. I just know someone will move or drop the class before September. So that calmed me down a bit. The new Realtor, and Jay, arrived at 1:00 to sign the new papers to list our home for significantly less than before. While the new Realtor was here, our old Realtor sent me an email saying that someone called him and wanted to see our house tomorrow. WHAT!? After weeks on the market, and NO phone calls, not ANY interest, someone finally wants to see our house, and at the old price??? Done. Bring on the scrambling around the house to prepare.
Jay worked late again last night, and I worked on the house all day and into the night. It's amazing what you'll clean for other people, but not yourself. I'm pretty sure our washer and dryer are original to the house. Have you ever cleaned the bottom/underneath side of the lid of your washer? Weird, but done. Always intend to organize that area under the sink? Done. I have this irrational fear that our house smells weird, and I imagine that if all of our bedding smell clean and like dryer sheets, that this will magically help the upstairs smell yummy. Done.
Can you tell I'm a bit stressed? A showing in itself is truthfully not that stressful. It's just when you put everything together. I'm worried about schools for Jack. I'm worried about how we're parenting Jack. {I started using more positive behavior reinforcements, and may do a separate post on that.} Holden is REALLY on the move and scooting all over the floor and rolling everywhere and getting pissed when he goes backwards instead of forwards. I'm worried about going out of town for the long weekend, how I may have to put on a bathing suit. Worried if everything will fit in the car, and how tense the relationships will be over the weekend.
While I poured my steaming coffee this morning, and thought about how our plans can change in a moment, I remembered. I remembered how this is the weekend that we lost our second baby, two years ago. Granted, we were only 11 weeks along, but we were planning to go to Charlevoix for Venetian Festival, and celebrate Jay's birthday, but our plans were changed in an instant. So yes, I'm overwhelmed, even though when I read this, it seems like all of my verbal vomit is just silly. But then I squeeze my love bug, Holden--the baby I waited not so patiently for--and I remember that I'm not in control. Now if I could just be patient through the changes...
What is your story of changed plans? Or are you more of a free spirit that just goes with the flow, and lets life take you along its way?
What is your story of changed plans? Or are you more of a free spirit that just goes with the flow, and lets life take you along its way?



Wow Abby, great post! A good reminder to try to let go a little bit - which I think I always need to be reminded ;) I'm sending you happy house vibes today!
ReplyDeleteI really needed that reminder today too!! Thank you Abby. Great words, great writing, and so honest! Love you!
ReplyDeleteStop mentally stalking me! Or I should stop doing that to you! :) Just kidding. Sounds like we're definitely on the same mental track today. Although I must say that YOUR stress and reasons for changes of plans sound much more stressful than mine. Wow.
ReplyDeleteI'm suspicious about your realtor suddenly having someone interested after you "fired" him. Sigh. Good luck with the sale, that is absolutely stressful.
I have, btw, cleaned the underside of the washing machine lid. :) It's easy to do...and I like to keep the washer and dryer clean. Pet peeve.
Your thoughts are not silly at all. People that like to make plans get stressed out because by me because I am anti making plans. Don't know why, and it also affects my professional life as well. I hate making appointments for calls, just say I will call you tomorrow. Sometimes I just don't get around to it. When we go to visit back home, people always want to make plans to see us but I just want to go with the flow and see how it works out. I can see how it can be annoying and frustrating, but for me, I don't like to make plans and then have to break them or be late. I hate being late even though it happens all the time. Maybe thats the crux of the issue. If you don't make plans, you're always on time. Plus, we make plans, God laughs.
ReplyDelete