I recently saw one of my college roommates after years of being apart. Granted, we talk on the phone and the computer, but it's not the same. Just look how happy we are!
When we hugged my eyes filled with tears, because you don't realize how much you NEED to see someone until they are right in front of you. There is no substitute for a shared history.
When you're in school, you are totally immersed in the lives of your friends. In college you're in a 9x12 room with, for all practical purposes, a stranger. But you hear every phone call, know instantly if they've had a bad day, exchange clothes, fight over Dr. Pepper, share meals, and debrief every nanosecond of your Saturday night. Death, divorce, eating disorders, crisis of faith, crazy house mates, nasty break-ups, and countless episodes of 90210 later, and you love them like sisters.
Then everyone makes their own way in the world. You move. They move. Then someone gets hitched, and your circle of friends shifts, because it's easier if you can go out as couples. Add a baby to the mix, and KABLAM--everything changes again. Relationships take effort, and work, and often times, as parents, we don't have a lot of time for that. We try to carve out time for ourselves, with book club, MOPS, Bunco, etc., but half the time we end-up skipping the obligation because something with the family comes up. And if you're working outside the home, it can be difficult to take time away from your family for the girlfriends, when you've already been away all day. I've been there.
Shauna Niequist says it so well in her first book, Cold Tangerines:
True friendship is a sacred, important thing, and happens when we drop down into that deeper level of who we are, when we cross over into the broken, fragile parts of ourselves. We have to give something up in order to get friendship like that. We have to give up our need to be perceived as perfect. We have to give up our ability to control what people think of us. We have to overcome the fear that when they see the depths of who we are, they'll leave...If we can control it and manage it and manufacture it, then it's something else, but if it's really love, really friendship, it's a little scary around the edges.
Is it too late for the "scary around the edges" type of friendships we had in college? I am fortunate to have a handful good friends in Grand Rapids, and I am so grateful for them, but that has taken a long time. I know I still walk into situations with the "will you like me" fears. Although with age, I've also acquired the "will I like you" concern. Is this why it's so difficult to have close friends, like the ones with the shared history of your past? Or do we just need to be more patient, and lower our expectations as adults? Is there a cut off to making these types of friends? Does it stop after college? After your 30's? After kids? Do tell.



Boy Abby, this one really is hitting deep for me. I feel the exact same way you do. Don't even know where to begin.
ReplyDeleteTotally with you on this too -- have the same thoughts all the time. Hope it's not too late -- for new friends and old ones ;)
ReplyDeleteLove this post. It hits a lot of emotions for me. Really, right after school, I jumped out of the "circle of friends" with marriage and a military life with an always new address.I was kind of like Where's Waldo for the first 10 years! Add to that lots of babies, a life for Christ,and living far away, I bet I am unrecognizable to many old HS friends.They see me for who I was and people I know now see me for who I am now and those I believe are almost two different people. There's the problem. Those few friendships that have spanned the gap are irreplacable as they are the ones who have been on the journey with you and seen you grow and "just know" when you talk to them. Others from either end of our lives all have to play catch up. I do have a good friend that played catch up,but those people are few and far between!
ReplyDeleteMeg Allen
Abby, you know I can relate to this post. It totally describes how I feel. You explained it well.
ReplyDeleteEverything you said hits home for me. In 3 weeks I am going to visit a girlfriend from high school who I haven't seen in years, and this makes me that much more excited. I wouldn't change my friendship with her for anything.
ReplyDeleteHowever, I think I value the friendships I have made as an adult even more than those I had in childhood. These people know me for who I am not for what I was, they know my work and family plans not my when-I-grow-ups.
But, I wonder what our current friendships would be if we didn't have cell phones and internet. We went to college with actually address books, not Twitter accounts. It is easy to keep in contact with lots of other people - and I wonder if with that ease comes a lack of trying or a lack of depth in relationship because communication is taken for granted.
I've had adult friendships come and go, and yet I feel they touched my life just as much as those in my childhood.
"Make new friends but keep the old. One is silver, the other gold."
ReplyDeleteI love this post. I knew when we met that you were a sweet and special friend and I almost have tears down my cheek thinking about our short couple hours together this weekend!
Kristen--you are so right. And I'm so glad I have you as my adult friend. Lord knows we're making our own shared history!
ReplyDeleteYou're going to have such an amazing time in Texas.
I've been in DC for about 5 years now, and I've mostly stuck with my Richmond bffs who are 2 hours away now. I have noticed that it's much harder to "make friends" when you're older. Especially if you want to do so outside of work. I've got a few friends up here that I like spending time with, but to be honest it seems to get harder and harder to find the time - just because of that thing called life that gets in the way. It's also tough because in DC you can make friends with people from all over the metro area, and that means that it's harder to get together with them - because of TRAFFIC. Ugh. I don't have any friends nearby that I can call up and just pop over to the wine bar with on a lark. Traffic-related planning must always ensue.
ReplyDeleteI don't feel I need many friends, because I only want to spend time with those whose time I really, really enjoy.
So it's either residual post-baby hormones, work stress, or the glass of wine I had before coming upstairs for bed, but this blog post really has my heart in a knot. I am so very thankful for the couple close friendships I've developed since moving to Michigan but in way I guess we do need to adjust expectations a bit- it's nearly impossible to get to know friends in our "adulthood" the way we could know our friends from growing up and/or college, and it's hard not to miss the comfort that comes from having a friend nearby who knows everything about you and stills loves you anyhow. That's not to say that the same kind of history can't be developed with friends we make as adults, but it's not like we can curl up on a futon and stay up all night talking like we could in college, so developing those kinds of relationships at this stage in our lives just takes more time and effort.
ReplyDeleteSo thanks for all your time and effort.
This is so, so true. I really do have a few (very few) dear old friends who just know me better than I know myself. But Shauna's statement on real friends is reality - and scary around the edges is sometimes just too heavy for me to take on with everything else going on as a mom/wife/professional/etc.
ReplyDeleteI think part of it, too, is that in order to develop those friendships you have to invest a significant amount of time. You're not going to be living with someone the way we did in college. And the deeply personal things that happen in life probably get shared with a spouse (if you're married) before they would with a new-ish friend.
I don't know. I agree with you. It is really a tough topic. I do regularly thank God for the dear ones I hold close from all those years ago!
I miss book club! I agree wholeheartedly with what you describe. Although, I can not be the one to complain as I move across the country at a steady pace (St. Ignace, Ann Arbor, New Jersey, Grand Rapids, now Colorado)!
ReplyDeleteIt was easy to make friends in GR before kids when my colleagues were my age and we became best friends. It has proven to be very difficult for us to make friends in Colorado. At work all of the smart women at my rank have left public accounting and who has time for activities for yourself when you haven't seen the kids all day? Most of the friends we have are friends and family that have moved here (and mostly from Michigan!).
The other wrinkle is trying to make friends as a "couple." It sometimes turns out that you like her, but he really doesn't feel comfortable with him (or vice versa).
The one thing I hold close to my heart are the friends that, even if you only talk to them once a year, they are always in your thoughts and when you do see them, it is as if you were never apart. I'm blessed by friends that, even though I only may have lived near them for a year or two, made a significant impact on who I am and who I want to be as a friend.
Miss you, Abby. Give the boys a big hug for me!
Shannon