7/29/10
Eating for 31 on $31
Here is the challenge: eat for 31 days on $31. Could you do it? In "this economy" {doesn't it seem like that's what we're calling it?} everyone is looking for a deal. So I thought this 31/31 concept was pretty interesting. I have not read through all 31 days of Jeffery's adventure, but it seems like he did a pretty darn good job! You can read an overview here, and check out his day by day account at Grocery Coupon Guide.
Do you have a secret to making your dollar stretch at the grocery store? Or a favorite tip or website or coupon page you use? Buying in bulk is about as far as I get. I just can't get into the whole cutting coupons scene. Jeffery does inspire me to start basing our meals on what is on sale, instead of just buying what I feel like cooking. This is just another way to push yourself as a home cook. Share your saving secrets!
On an unrelated note, I can barely keep my eyes open today because I stayed up much too late reading Bittersweet: thoughts on change, grace, and learning the hard way by Shauna Niequist. The good news for you? I'll be hosting my first giveaway in September, where one of you will receive your very own copy! Get excited people, very excited.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I am excited, very excited!
ReplyDeleteI try to buy in season because buying produce out of season is more expensive. When I see a good sale, I stock up. I think there was a time when I'd be able to do this 31 concept, but now I focus on buying organic meats and things not filled with steroids and preservatives - and organic is not cheap! :(
ReplyDeleteNicole--I was thinking the same thing. I could do it, but I doubt it would be healthy. One can not live on Wheat Thins alone.
ReplyDeleteJust last night I was visiting with another mom at my daughter's gymnastics gym. She was clipping CRAZY coupons and started telling me about her system of shopping, where she saves tons of money every month by knowing when things go on sale, which stores honor double coupons, etc. She had a gigantic binder with all the coupons organized. It made me want to take a nap. But she swears that once you get started it is both easy and efficient...
ReplyDeleteI use couponmom.com - I'm not a crazy coupon-clipper, but I find the coupons that apply to things I already have to buy, and it DOES help save money.
ReplyDeleteTo your second point - I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my copy of Bittersweet - I ordered it 2 months ago and it shipped last week when it came out, but it hasn't arrived yet...any day now!