8/7/10

How to Shop for a New Bathing Suit

At some point, everyone needs to get in that dressing room, and look at yourself in the giant mirror wearing underwear underneath an ill-fitting bathing suit. But not everyone has a Jack.

I am embarrassed to say that I have not bought a new bathing suit in two years.  And that suit was made for sitting by a pool, at some distant location, with a large sun hat and big round sunglasses.  Not for family time at the beach, or any type of local pool.

A few weeks ago I took my post-baby body {which is what I will call this until I get it back to my normal} I took myself and both boys to Old Navy.  Have you tried to find a cute bathing suit mid-season?  Not easy.  Basically everything that was left either had some serious shimmer and sparkle, or it was the wrong size.  This is what I tried on.





Keep in mind I have Jack with me, who says whatever is on his mind. {He may take after his mother.}  As soon as I put it on, he said, "Mom, you look like you're in a fashion show."  I'm pretty sure he thinks people are wearing costumes as they walk down the runway, so I left that one at the store.

This week we joined a place that has a pool, so now this whole shopping bit was serious business.  Plus, we're spending next week with 8 kids and 8 adults on a beach, so I needed to find a suit! I hauled both boys into the "family dressing room" at Target.  This time I was more brave and tried on a two-piece.  While I'm changing, Jack says, "Mom, your belly is shrinking."  If he said nothing for the rest of the day, that was enough.  I finally pull and stretch and tuck my underwear into the edges, and VERY loudly, Jack said, "Mom, you look too sexy in that suit."  I burst out laughing.  I couldn't help it!  Everyone in the dressing room area was laughing too.  He said it as a warning, not as a compliment.  Then, while I pull myself together, he said, "Mom, what does sexy mean?"  And everyone roared even louder!  I said, "Sexy is when someone feels good in their own skin."  I had heard that from someone else when Jack was a baby and filed it away for this exact moment.  

I ditched the bathing suit, and grabbed a one piece on the way out, in two sizes, hoping that 1) I would like it, and 2) that one of them would actually fit without looking "too sexy" or like a Halloween costume.  Finally, I landed on this little number from Target.


And yes, I look exactly like the model and always stand in that awkward position! 

If you have a precocious child in your life, it might be a good idea to bring them with you when looking for a bathing suit.  If nothing else, they are honest and keep the mood light when you might otherwise consider screaming at the three-way mirror.

Where is your favorite place to shop for new swimwear?


9 comments:

  1. Damn...I would need a good stiff drink to go bathing suit shopping. It seems pointless to put myself through that torture....why not a sharp stick in my eye????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely nothing worse that shopping for a swim suit post baby!!!! I wound up with a little number from Target that had an actual skirt. It was a low moment.
    Last summer I finally bought a real suit from Macy's. I love it. It's worth every penny to have something you're comfortable in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tricia, this suit is actually referred to as a "swim dress." Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HATE bathing suit shopping and refuse to do it...which is why my bathing suit is at least 5 or 6 years old, I'm pretty sure. (So you shouldn't be too embarrassed about 2 years!!) I currently have a tankini, and no matter how "thin" I am, I am never thin enough to look good in it. I have to pack a suit for Haiti because we're spending a day at the beach, and I'm dreading it. I'm almost considering pulling out my even OLDER one-piece, sitting in the back of my drawer...ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The past couple of years I've gotten a couple of good suits from Athleta (recently acquired by Gap). Shopping on Athleta.com saves you the humiliation of doing it in public. :)

    And I agree with Jessica - 2 years is nothing to be ashamed of!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny are you? I LOVE that suit? And that bit about bringing your precocious kid...the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If nothing else, Jak sounds like an excellent shopping companion to keep things light and in perspective! haha
    xo
    amanda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops! (sp!)Sorry Jack!! haha

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is TOO CUTE.

    I got two great suits at H&M this spring, after not purchasing any for years. I love them, but the clasp on one top broke after 3 uses, and there is a hole in the bottom of the other suit that appeared after the 1st use. But that may be my butt's fault. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails