9/6/10

A Preview of Bittersweet

Bittersweet is the practice of believing that we really do need both the bitter and the sweet, and that a life of nothing but sweetness rots both your teeth and your soul.  Bitter is what makes us strong, what forces us to push through, what helps us earn the lines on our faces and the calluses on our hands.  Sweet is nice enough, but bittersweet is beautiful, nuanced, full of depth and complexity.  Bittersweet is courageous, gutsy, earthy.



Happy Labor Day!  Today, I am thrilled to introduce you to Shauna Niequist, a dear friend and incredible writer.  On Wednesday, I will be hosting a Giveaway of Shauna's second release, Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way.  I have been asked to review the book, and then the winner will receive a free, signed copy!  Can't wait!

Although I wish I could quote you all of my favorite parts of the book, and chat about it over coffee, reading this excerpt from Bittersweet will have to do for today!

Share your life with the people you love, even if it means saving up for a ticket and going without a few things for a while to make it work.  There are enough long lonely days of the same old thing, and if you let enough years pass, and if you let the routine steamroll your life, you'll wake up one day, isolated and weary, and wonder what happened to all those old friends.  You'll wonder why all you share is Christmas cards, and why life feels lonely and bone-dry.  We were made to live connected and close, as close as we all were those few days in Alameda, holding one another's babies, taking turns stirring whatever's on the stove.


So walk across the street, or drive across town, or fly across the country, but don't let really intimate loving friendships become the last item on a long to-do list.  Good friendships are like breakfast.  You think you're too busy to eat breakfast, but then you find yourself exhausted and cranky halfway through the day, and discover that your attempt to save time totally backfired.  In the same way, you can try to go it alone because you don't have time or because your house is too messy to have people over, or because making new friends is like the very worst parts of dating.  But halfway through a hard day or a hard week, you'll realize in a flash that you're breathtakingly lonely, and that the Christmas cards aren't much company.  Get up, make a phone call, buy a cheap ticket, open your front door.


Because there really is nothing like good friends, like the sounds of their laughter and the tones of their voices and the things they teach us in the quietest, smallest moments.


How do you stay connected to old friends or the special people in your life?  
Come back Wednesday for the review and giveaway!  

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like just the sort of thing I need to read RIGHT NOW. (SO many lonely days at the moment, though I do have great friends). Looking forward to your full review on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - such a great message, Abby. I have let some friendships languish, and sometimes do miss those ladies.. Looking forward to more! Good luck with Jack tomorrow - bring tissue and chocolate (for the drive home) - x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This, right here, is the reason that true, loving, deep relationships are more important to me than anything else in the world other than the Lord! I don't like spending money on vacations, or "stuff", or entertainment...but I'll spend the money it requires to fly to visit friends; take the time off work to drive "home" to Michigan...it's worth it. Every little minute and cent of it is completely worth it. Because absolutely NOTHING can replace real, close friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a great book. Your right, I should check it out. It also reminds me that I did the right thing by driving 10 hours to see my mother-in-law with a toddler in the car. AND that it's also ok to let the husband hand with the toddler for the weekend in a couple of weeks so I can have a girls weekend! YAY!

    Oh - and about Abby...it might make you feel better to know that my nephew named her. He named her after a girl in his class that he had a crush on.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails