
This morning is the first real snowfall of the season. You know, the kind that is light and fluffy and constant. It makes everything sparkle...and makes me not want to leave the house. It's almost the end of November and it's finally starting to feel like winter. Jack can not wait to start skiing (and hopefully try ski school this year) and ride on his "snowmobile." This is a picture of him and his new helmet for all his winter adventures. His head was so big we had to get him the largest "youth" size available.
I'm super sick today, so between that and the snow, it seemed like a perfect day to update our blog. November is a big month for us. Yesterday was our sixth wedding anniversary. We walked to our favorite restaurant, Real Food Cafe, with Jack and had a great breakfast. Jack thinks it is his personal restaurant. ;-) Jay took care of Jack all day so I could sleep, and then they surprised me with soup for dinner. such great boys. We also celebrated an early Thanksgiving with Jay's mom, her husband, aunt, and uncle. On Wednesday we'll leave to drive up north to my dad's to do it all over again, and to wish him a happy 56th birthday! Jack's been practicing Happy Birthday for him on his little keyboard book!
Jack has seemed much older to us lately. He is making his bed, carrying his dishes to the kitchen, (and "teaching" Jay how to do it as well), getting dressed, and mastering his letters. The other day when he was putting on his shirt I pretended to cry/whine because he was getting so big. He grabbed my cheeks with his hands and said, "Don't worry, we'll have another baby." ;-) so sweet. He is very into calling me "Shnookums," or "cutie heart" --his combination of sweetheart and cutie pie. I think he enjoys having company because he tossed the phone to me and said "Here, call someone. They can come over and sleep in the guest room." He had a nightmare the other day and came running into our room scared. So the next night, during bedtime, I was quoting the 23rd Psalm to him. He listened very carefully, and then said, "Is that Jesus talking quietly to your heart?" I melted. He can hardly wait for Christmas. He said "After Jesus's birthday then it's MY BIRTHDAY!!!" He's been looking forward to turning 4 since about last February. Unfortunately, he wants every toy under the sun. So I'm working on teaching him to be grateful for what he has, and trying to show him that I am thankful for what I have.
I'm looking for some good children's books that explain the real meaning of Christmas to little ones. Does anyone have suggestions? Also, I'm looking for a Thanksgiving tradition to start with our family besides eating--some exercise of gratitude. What do you do with your family for Thanksgiving?


No comments:
Post a Comment