1/31/09

JW Mariot, Grand Rapids



A year ago, Jay bought a raffle ticked from a co-worker for a free night at the new JW Mariot in Grand Rapids. He won! We've had a year to use this gift and literally waiting till the last day of January to stay there. We decided to go as a whole family, and had a great time. If you ever have a chance to stay at a JW, I would highly recommend it. The service was great, including turning down the bed and leaving chocolates. ;-) A few of my favorite features were the real bamboo floors, granite counter tops everywhere, and fabulous linens. The walk-in shower was great too!
We got there after Jay was done with work and went to the Amway sports restaurant (which is connected to the hotel through the skywalk) for dinner. It was casual enough for Jack, and we had some tasty, homemade pizza. Jack said, "I love this pepperoni pizza and I love you, mommy." Afterwards we quickly put our suits on and went down to the pool. We were only sharing it with one person, and the views of the city from the pool were spectacular. They also had Eucalyptus scented steam rooms that were very relaxing. Jack had a great time in the pool and hot tub. They had a ledge around the edge of the pool, and he was my "teacher, giving walking lessons." He was teaching me how to walk on the ledge. ;-) We were doing great until suddenly Jack started to gag, and threw-up (his yummy pizza) outside of the pool. Nice. We called the cleaning people and got the heck out of there. He was feeling fine, so I'm still not sure what happened.
We had a King size bed, and Jack stayed in it with us till I couldn't stand it anymore...about 11:00 p.m., because he was all over me. We put him on the chaise lounge, and finally had the bed to ourselves. In the morning, Jack told me I was prettier than "all the other mommys."Then went down to the 616 for breakfast. This is one of my favorite restaurants in Grand Rapids. It's locally grown and seasonal cuisine. Our winnings gave us two free passes to the breakfast bar at 616, and I have to say it did not disappoint. Fresh fruit, waffles, omelets made to order, and the best oatmeal and bacon I've ever had. My guess is that they roasted the bacon, because it was straight. The maple syrup was from northern Michigan and you could absolutely taste the difference. I realize an omelet bar is rather common, but I am a believer that quality ingredients make the meal, and my omelet this morning was a prime example. My omelet included sun-dried tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, red onions, and feta cheese. FABULOUS.
When we were almost finished eating, Jack said, "Uh-oh, we've got a big problem here. We forgot to pray." Jack said the prayer and it was so sweet and sincere--thanking God for his family and for the hotel, and his sausage, that it made me teary. Being a mother has provided a true visual understanding of what it means to have a child-like faith.
After checking out we walked around downtown and Jay got a haircut, and then we went over to our YMCA to have a family tour. It was great. Huge, kid friendly pool that made Jack want swim lessons immediately. Then boys basketball teams were playing, and he was ready to play b-ball. We joined up, again, on the last day possible for the discount, and I can't wait to start going. I can leave Jack in childcare for up to 2 hours a day with our family membership. Then we can hit the family pool for Jack to blow off steam. Have you been in a house with a 4 year old, in Michigan, in January?! They have a bit of energy. ;-)

Although we stayed in Grand Rapids it felt like a vacation. Afterwards Jay said we should do this again, even though it wouldn't be free, because it was so nice. If you can get away in your own town--do it! It's worth the memories.

2 comments:

  1. Loved your description! Aaron and I did the same thing last night :) So glad you got the YMCA membership - you and Jack will have so much fun down there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sending me the blog address! I read through your whole blog and loved it! Isn't it funny what kids say?
    Love catching up with you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails