11/23/09

Thanksgiving Thoughts



Let's start with a few quotes. The first I swiped from Dr. Laura's blog. The second quote appeared on my iGoogle page as my "verse of the day."

How wonderful it would be if we could help our children and grandchildren to learn thanksgiving at an early age. Thanksgiving opens the doors. It changes a child’s personality. A child is resentful, negative - or thankful. Thankful children want to give, they radiate happiness, they draw people.
-- Sir John Templeton,American-born British investor and philanthropist,1912-2008


So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. Col. 2:6-7


Overflowing with thankfulness? Really? For one reason or another, that phrase was jarring to me this morning. It's not that I find it difficult to be thankful. I don't think I'm a bitter, resentful person. But "overflowing"? I think not. How can I teach my children to truly be thankful, from an early age if I don't reveal that trait in all I do. I want to "change a child's personality" as Templeton said. It is easy for me to be thankful in good times, but what about the moments of despair? I think that is where Christ has to enter the picture. Just like everything else, I can't do this on my own.

Maybe thankfulness is more of a discipline than a trait...something to be practiced. In what ways does your family practice thankfulness? Do you find it easy to be "overflowing" with thankfulness? How have you been explaining the importance of Thanksgiving to your children? I would love to hear your comments.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails