4/15/10

Friday Favorites

(This post is the second in series of Friday Favorites)

Do you like CPK's BBQ Chicken Salad?  Here is my version.  I think I originally got the recipe from Shauna, and I've been making it ever since.  Its simple ingredients and great flavor make it perfect for spring and summer.

In a large bowl combine:

1 rotisserie chicken shredded
1 Can of corn with peppers
2 pints of cherry tomatoes halved
1 can of black beans rinsed
handful of chopped FRESH cilantro
salt to taste (this is especially important in this recipe)
--you can also throw in some avocado, but if you do, add lime juice to prevent them from turning brown
--I've also marinated chicken breast in BBQ, baked them, and shredded them into the salad, but that obviously takes more time. 

Use Ranch and Sweet baby Ray's BBQ sauce as the dressing. You want more BBQ than ranch.
Serve over lettuce and top with tortilla chips.


Two of my favorite things are cooking and dancing.  Yes, I was a dancer.  (Was, being the key word.) Check out this clip from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution that combines both of my favorite things.  I have to confess it moved me.  I promise you will smile.  It's a good way to start  a Friday!

My favorite product of the week is netflix.  We all know that they send you movies in the mail, but did you know that you can stream shows and movies directly to your TV from any gaming system, or internet connected device?  This is included in our basic monthly rate.  I think we pay $7.99.  Pretty awesome.


I am in love with these cork placemats from Dwell Studio, not just the design, but because they are kid friendly. They are made of thick cork, with a wipeable surface. Target continues to reel me in. 

I hesitate to say this, but in a way, Holden's birth was bittersweet.  We were beyond thrilled to have him, yet worried he would not be healthy. There were moments in the first few weeks when I would start crying, because I would look at Holden, and think of the baby we lost...wondering if I will meet that child some day in heaven.  Bittersweet.  My friend, Shauna (the one with the recipe) just finished her second book, Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way and I can't wait to read it.  You should pre-order your copy now!  At least click on the link to read more. 

When life is sweet, say thank you and celebrate, and when life is bitter, say thank you and grow.‘                                                                                                           -from Bittersweet




5 comments:

  1. Oh, you're the sweetest! Thanks! Makes me want that salad right now--I must've forgotten about it, because I haven't made it in ages. Kiss Holden for me--and Jack, too. XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. TWO copies of the book have been pre-ordered. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You KNOW how much I loved Cold Tangerines...I can't wait to read Bittersweet!! Thank you for introducing me to Shauna's writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many morsels of yumminess this Friday! Thanks.
    T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Referring to your thought about the child you lost, It may be comforting to know that in the bible when king David lost his infant, he stated that he knew that he could not bring the child back to him, but he would be able to go to him. This is in 2 Samuel chapter 12. David was a man who had faith in God and had a relationship with him, and in so knowing he knew he would go to heaven and see his child again.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails