4/7/10

Vaccines, Baby Weight, and Comments

This morning we had Holden's 2 month doctor's visit.  I've been really stressing about when to get which vaccines, and thinking about a delayed schedule.  I think it is even more nerve wracking this time around because he's so small.  Has anyone else done this?  I'm not anti-vaccine, but it does seem against my instincts to pump my baby full of chemicals.  I felt like a complete lunatic at the Dr.'s office today, because as I was talking to the nurse about the different vaccines, I started to get teary-eyed. I apologized to the nurse, and she said, "don't worry, it's your hormones."  ;-)  Holden did get two shots today and the oral vaccine for Rota-virus. We're waiting on the Hep B shot, because he's not at a huge risk right now. I'm just doing alot of praying to console myself.  I think it was so much work/scary getting Holden into this world, that I don't want to mess him up.


Jack had his 5 year today, and he's in the 75% for both height and weight.  Holden, however, is it the 3% for length and 25% for weight.  He's going to need his big brother Jack!  He may be small, but he's scrappy.  When she put him on his tummy, he did a push-up and rolled over onto his back.  Our doc said she wasn't expecting that!


On a totally unrelated note, I'm trying to shed the 20 pounds of baby weight I'm still hauling around. Besides doing Weight Watchers Online, I bought this Lean Cuisine panini at Costco yesterday and they are really great. 

Finally, a few people have mentioned that it wasn't working for them to make a comment.  I just changed the settings on the comment box, so you can make a comment, and use the "anonymous" setting.  Comments make my day, so if anyone besides my mom reads this, please feel free to leave a thought!

14 comments:

  1. I'm always reading, and I love your blog!

    -Jessica G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I am not a momma, I have to think that a momma's instincts, in regards to their kids and vaccines, can't be wrong. And, I think you look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Abby. I came over from Hollywood Housewife. Congrats on sweet baby Holden! (I'm a mama to 3, ages 5 years, 3 years, and 6 months.) I wonder if you might be interested in the blog of another friend of mine who provides, among other things, a LOT of good info on delayed vaccinations. Here is a link to the sections of her blog that discuss vaccines, although I think you'll find the whole blog delightful: http://sortacrunchy.typepad.com/sortacrunchy/delaying_vaccinations/

    Great meeting you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jaime- Thanks so much for visiting! I went right over to sortacrunchy and read through her posts; they were very helpful. I finally broke down and bought Dr. Sears book on vaccines. If I could give any advice to a new mom it would be to not vaccinate at all until you're sure of your plan. I wish I wouldn't have done anything yesterday and just waited to start at his 4 month. Oh well! It's not too late for a delayed schedule.

    Jessica- thanks for reading. :-)
    Kristen- you're too kind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Abby~
    Uh, I feel you. Rory also had her 2 month appointment on Wednesday - and I was in the same state of panic. With both of our kiddos we have decided to do a delayed schedule. One of the most important things that Eric and I did, was to sit down and talk to our doctor about our concerns and to formulate a plan. While he does not agree that there is a possible risk to immunizations, he has agreed to respect our decision to wait. We are able to share information back and forth in regards to recent research. Ultimately, we have decided to spread out the vaccines so that Maverick and Rory will be getting their last rounds at 36 months (in particular, they will not be getting the MMR until then)and there are some vaccines we have opted out of completely - i.e. the flu shot and H1N1.

    In regards to weight loss - I am wondering if you would like to be "accountability partners"?!? I also have 20 pounds that I still have to shed, and I am really struggling. It doesn't help that Eric can eat anything and everything and still look great, nor that at the moment I feel too busy and tired to cook. So, having someone to hold me to healthy eating and exercise would be a godsend.

    Good to hear that Holden is starting to sleep a bit better. Sounds like he is on the same schedule as Rory! If you can call it a schedule....

    Take care.
    whitney

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whitney-
    If be your accountability partner means I should tell you that I ate a bagillion Whopper Robin's Eggs yesterday, then yes, I think it's a good idea!

    Thanks for you thoughts on vaccines. Will you be separating the MMR shots? Or still leaving it a combo? I'm looking forward to reading what Dr. Sears has to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey mama! Many kind thanks to my friend Jaime for suggesting my posts on delaying vaccines. I'm afraid my own delayed schedule is terribly out of date, but if you ever want to talk further on the topic, just shoot me an email! It's sortacrunchy at gmail dot com

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan! I'm so excited you stopped by! I just finished reading through your Ezzo series. Although I'm not very crunchy, I'm a big fan of your blog.

    I'll email you my questions. Thanks! abby

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh... I just wrote a super long response and your comment box wouldn't work and I lost it all... =P Trying again...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry Mehr! I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

    My friend, Sarah, just e-mailed me two books on the topic. "Healing the New Childhood Epidemics" by Dr. Kenneth Brock (contains a good delayed vaccination schedule) and "Saying No to vaccines" by Dr. Sherri Tenpenny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi ab. i love your blog. you are right to trust your instincts and someday you will pat yourself on the back for loving your boys so fiercely that a decision brought you to tears. keep up the creative beautiful thoughts and love you lots. life. love. laugh when we can. love, stressed to the max in ct

    ReplyDelete
  12. I forgot to tell you... LC paninis are the best... Try the chicken club and Sourhwest chicken, those are my favs. Don't bother trying the WW versions, or others, they all suck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is nothing wrong with an informed momma, do your research and never be afraid to be honest with the doctors even if that means they disagree. Remember that God entrusted you with these children and to make the best choices for them. Doctors are a great resource for advice, but cannot substitute a parents good judgement when well informed. Remember that they are also paid and guided to follow a standard protocol. Children and families are all different and do not always fit into the tiny box of standard protocol. Do what you believe is best for your children and enjoy the peace in that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails