I have always had friends from all different walks of life. In high school, I would say I had friends from all different groups. Even now, I have a friend who is a bazillionare, and friends struggling through bankruptcy. I'm incredibly conservative, and somehow most of my friends are liberals. For the most part, this suits me just fine. I'm old enough and smart enough to know that you never fully know what is going on behind closed doors; financially or emotionally.
So today, I was caught off guard when I read through a friend's account of Mother's day, and it threw me into a tailspin of jealousy. See below--
This was not a brief passing stab of jealousy that slices for a moment and then fades back into all the other things you vaguely wish were different in the course of a day. This was jealousy like a house fire, something you absolutely cannot ignore and something that might send you to the emergency room. I could feel my eyes becoming small and beady and my soul shrinking down to a tiny wrinkled peach pit. (Cold Tangerines, by Shauna Niequist)
I'm pretty sure my soul did shrink into a wrinkled peach pit. It really was the crazy, all consuming kind of jealousy, that made me call my mom practically in tears. Maybe I should tell you that "it didn't occur" to my husband to wish me a happy Mother's day. He had given me these beautiful flowers earlier in the week, and I guess he thought he had his bases covered.
So to say that my Mother's day was low-key would be putting it mildly. HER day was beyond amazing, like Mother's day on crack.
My mom and I used to play a game when we would drive by a fancy house, or see someone strikingly beautiful, and say,"I bet they're not happy." Teasing, of course. But here's the thing. I think SHE really is happy.
It basically comes down to me being a brat. I have two of the most adorable children, a husband that loves me, two parents that are still alive, and I actually really like my mother-in-law; overall, an incredibly fortunate life. It was just a perfect storm of events that wouldn't allow me to be as happy for HER as I should have been.
Then I got the mail. A far-away friend sent me the most beautiful, sincere, kind-hearted card. I believe God is in the details, and His timing is perfect. I don't think He just cares about the big things, like cancer and infertility. I know He cares for me when I'm being a brat and stomping around the imaginary house in my head. God's perfect timing was made evident in the mail! I'm still working through my silly self-pity, but I'm thankful for my friends who love me anyway.
5/10/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I love you when you have moments of jealousy and self-pity, and when you have things I dream and wish for. That's what makes us friends!
ReplyDeleteWow... not sure where to start. (I'm sorry you have friends going through bankruptcies, but that wasn't the point of your post).
ReplyDeleteI like this... and it made me feel a little guilty because I am OFTEN a brat, and it's not for any reason that I can think of (like jealously for example). Like you realized too - sometimes we are just spoiled brats, maybe because we have so much?? I'm not sure. In any case, it's not something I like about myself.
So what can we do about it? What can we do when we recognize we are acting like little monsters? I'd love to say something like, "oh, send me a Bible verse!", but I know that sometimes that might work, and sometimes that might make my attitude worse - depending on my mood - really. =P I do believe in prayer... but I'm hoping for more concrete ideas... that don't involve (too much) chocolate. =P
I wasn't jealous of her *things* but her experience.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous tulips! My favorites! Just so you know....I think I would be HOT if "it didn't occur" to my hubs to wish me a happy mother's day. Don't discount your feelings-- they are important ones!
ReplyDeleteThat being said, father's day is next month....pay back's a b*tch! (KIDDING...kinda!) :)
Haha! I knew liked you, Carrie. ;-)
ReplyDeleteAbby, I had the very same kind of Mother's Day and it started Saturday. I was literally reduced to tears and it started because of those pesky "expectations" (those will do it every time!) I so wish I was freeer and looser to let things unfold as they will, but I constantly tie myself up with assuming this or that will happen and then falling apart when it doesn't. Can an "old dog" be taught new tricks?? Feeling your pain, Carol
ReplyDelete