Angelica, from Modern Familia, wrote a post this week explaining how she fosters awareness of sexual predators with her children. I even loved her introduction:
Life during childhood is not always pretty. And as much as we want to protect our children, the reality is that they need to learn to protect themselves as well. When it comes to sexual abuse, the offender can be ANYONE, women and men included. And, it is a well-known fact that most sex offenders are people who know the child well, or at least has some relationship with the child.
I will spare you of the statistics on sexual abuse, misconduct, and inappropriate behaviors towards children. I do want to clarify, however, that sexual abuse includes a wide range of behaviors, from sexually-inappropriate comments, insinuations, jokes, and touching, to the sexual behaviors most people think about when they hear sexual abuse.
She writes on to list the 10 ways she addresses the topic with her kids, providing examples for each one. Here is what she suggests.
- I clearly define what are their private areas
- I avoid cutesy names for their private areas
- I clearly tell my children who can shower them and help clean their private areas
- I clearly define what is an inappropriate or sexual behavior
- I Point out other sexually inappropriate behaviors
- I remind my children that anyone can be an offender
- I talk to my kids about sexual abuse just as another day-to-day conversation
- I check in with my kids from time to time
- I describe the common scenarios of sexual abuse in children
- I discuss the tactics sexual offenders use to scare their victims
What do you think of Angelica's list? I would encourage you to read the whole post before judging. What did she forget? Do you think she goes too far? Do you speak regularly and casually about sexual abuse with your child? Did your parents discuss this with you?
Thank you, Angelica for bringing this topic to the surface!


Whew.....not a fun topic at all....but VERY important! I too talk with all three of my children, each on their own level of understanding. My mother did this with us growing up and it was just natural for me to discuss all of it with them as well. I am SO glad you are making your children aware....I really wish more parents could swallow their uncomforatable awkwardness and just talk about it too!!
ReplyDeleteRealted to this subject is a ministry that I hopet his fall to be involved with. It is called Project NightLight. It is a wonderful mnisrty to sexually,emotionally and physically abused kids. Check it out. I have it as a link on my facebook. Meg
ReplyDeleteHey Abby, Thanks for sharing this conversation with your readers! Very much appreciated!
ReplyDeleteOprah recently did a show on sexual abuse and spoke directly to sex offenders and they explained some of their tactics, the biggest information I gleened was that they constantly target children who do not have a close and open relationship with their parents. Children who are "whistle blowers" are right away dropped as potential victims because they are too "high-risk" and are difficult to "groom" as sexual victums. I agree with the point of view that keeping constant communication with our children and, for me, students, is the key to fighting off this sick people. We should never doubt these beautifully innocent children and keep in mind that whatever they say in this regard, is almost always true.
ReplyDelete