I confessed to Kara that I couldn't decide if I wanted to gain weight or become an alcoholic. She knew exactly what I meant. When I feel I've spent my whole day wiping counters, and wiping butts, it's easy to find comfort in the cupboards.
Jack pushes me to the edge for the 100th time? Cookie. The house is so messy and scattered that I don't know where to start? Wine. I have cleaned the kitchen after breakfast-snack-lunch-snack-empty-the-dishwasher-snack, and now it's time to make dinner and clean all over again? Chips AND wine. I get the email saying even though it's 8:30 p.m., my husband still won't be home for two more hours? Cookie, wine, AND Facebook. Frustrated with my spouse and the state of the world? Run or walk--preferably without the kids.
There are three types of parents: the weight gainer, the drinker, and the workout junkie. There are more, but I'm focusing on those three. {Others include the over scheduler, the shopper, the phone talker, and the cleaner.} Being a parent is difficult. I swear it's harder than it looks. I thought it would get a little easier as the kids got older, and in a way it does, but everyone has their coping mechanism. Each of these are fine in moderation, but like all things, can be dangerous when taken too far.
The Weight Gainer:
It begins with the baby weight--those last 5 or 10 pounds you just can not shed. Or for the dads, when you get married and are eating all those home cooked meals. Then you find yourself craving a snack during nap time. Then you have a second baby. Or a third. And you start "deserving" chocolate, because that's your "me time."
The Drinker:
The baby is finally asleep, kitchen is clean, and you find solace in the glass. {Am I sounding too Lifetime Movie Network?} Girls night out turns into margarita night. Bunco group morphs into "Drunko." That play date at the park evolves into happy hour at the park. It's the weekend. It's your "me time."
The Workout Junkie:
This one is the trickiest, because you are being healthy. Plus, it gives you a great butt! However, we all know a parent that is a workout junkie, and is constantly getting a babysitter so they can fit-in their workout. The workout junkie gets the most kudos, but it's not necessarily better. You can still use it as avoidance. That is your "me time."
I think there is a part of each of these in me, depending on the season of life. I think these escapes can get to extremes when, as Marta says, there are too many expectations without support. My friends who "stay home" all have spouses who work very long hours, and many travel for days at a time. This obviously isn't the same as being a single-parent, but it feels like it in the moment. Our days can start at 5:00 a.m., and they don't end at the kid's bed time, because that's when you can finally get things in order for the next day--if you have the energy.
When we, or our spouse, put too high expectations on ourselves, we risk turning to unhealthy solutions. So how do you cope? Do you hit the gym like a maniac and utilize their childcare? Do you find yourself sinking into the couch cushions once the kids are tucked in, sipping your favorite cocktail? Or are you more the chips-n-queso type?
I know what you're thinking. Stop whining and get over yourself. Just be glad you get to stay home with your boys while I read your blog from my office. You have a point. But I AM glad I get to be with my boys. I'm not complaining, just being honest. I know I'm not alone here.
Photos: Annie's Eats, Dine and Dish, Inspired Fitness
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



You are definitally not alone! Not sure what I'd be labeled....drinks not for me, but the snacking definitally fits. oh, and online shopping and don't count me out of checking Facebook too much! Speaking of which, I thought about you today when I ordered you a great pie dish that I hope you like. lol, no kidding, I had to get you one....
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing. Hope to see you guys in the next couple weeks.
Side note: This started a conversation with my own mother, and I realized that I should have added that I don't think this is exclusive to the SAHM. Parents working outside the home could argue it's worse, because they have all the expectations of themselves as though they were home full-time.
ReplyDeletewine wine wine wine wine wine! I look forward to my glass in the evenings and I see nothing wrong with that (haha!). Wish I was a workout junkie, but I am too tired (probably from the wine.....hmmmm)
ReplyDeleteAhh - I think that all the time "I deserve" this chocolate/wine/cookie etc. ... guess I wish I thought "I deserve" this exercise time more often ;) As far as working goes -- I agree that maybe the expectations on yourself can be really really tough -- but I think it's probably hard either way! Thank goodness for the yummy little kid hugs :)
ReplyDeleteLove this ! It states it so well!I walk in the same shoes as I stay at home and have one of those husbands that works looonnngggg hours! I have to admit that Iam a workout junkie as it releases all that built up energy I have from confimenent to my home. Somedays I think I am trapped in the monkey cage at the zoo!I "escape" to run when I can. I also read too much and the kids always see my books or bible on a counter/table and I grab minutes anywhere I can.
ReplyDeleteMeg
Guilty of all 3!! :)
ReplyDeleteMiss Abby, this is one of my favorite posts :) Even without kids I still feel that I put the high expectation pressure on myself, and I feel that my significant other does the same (although, that is not saying he actually does!). I am sure those pressure-releases will vary once I have kids, and again when they are teenagers, in college, etc. And, when all those things happen, I hope you are right besides me :)
ReplyDeleteWIne drinker here, and I don't even have kids! Actually, while I enjoy wine, I really turn to my blogs to get a break. That, and sitting outside when it rains.
ReplyDeleteI never read your blog from work and wish I were home blogging . . no. . . never. . . ;)
Todd- A pie dish! How exciting, and funny! Carrie- You are soooo hilarious. Meg- I'm so glad you liked it, I never know how people will respond. Kristen and Jane- You are so right, in that you don't need kids to need an escape for yourself! {Jane, if it makes you feel better, I usually blog at night instead of watching television.}
ReplyDeleteBEER.
ReplyDeleteBut alas, due to our new occupation I have had to say goodbye.
I cannot stop crying.
I guess I will try chips and salsa.
WOW!! loveddd this blog post! I can say for sure I feel everything stated! It is so great to know you are not alone, & it is truly refreshing to hear genuine honest-to-God truth & open-ness about subjects so many SAHM's would never dream of admitting! You make me feel like what I do/feel is normal! You made my week lol!
ReplyDeleteOh Tricia! You can come here and drink beer anytime! I won't tell. Shelby, this is exactly why I write this blog. Believe me, you have made MY week, not the other way around!!
ReplyDeleteWow - too many "expectations without support" - that really hits home with me! It's so hard to keep up with things at home and with myself when it feels like everything is on me. I feel overwhelmed, and that feeling makes me want to crawl back into bed (or drink wine or eat too much, etc). Really, all of those labels fit me to some extent. Except maybe the cleaning one. :) Thanks for the post, Abby!
ReplyDelete