We are those people:
the ones that actually went to the presentation on a timeshare while we were in Vegas to get the free dinner. Yep. That was all my husband: the banker. We were there celebrating Grandma Dolly's 90th birthday, because that's what you do when you turn 90. Obviously.
We did not buy a timeshare, but the salesman made a point we will never forget. He asked the large group who could remember what they got as a gift for their 7th birthday? No one. Then he tried their 10th birthday or Christmas? No one. When he asked who remembered their family vacation from the same age, EVERYONE raised their hand.
Your children will not remember the stuff you bought them, but they will remember the memories you created.
Jay and I could not shake his point. Since then, we have been committed to spending our money accordingly.
Gina and Holden
We are not fancy people. Actually, I'm very fancy in my head, but did I mention I married a banker who loves a good spreadsheet, and at one point, referred to our firstborn as a "cost-center"? Most of my clothes are from Target or Old Navy, and have you seen my car?
Jack & Hallie
But this summer we decided to join a pool. It has been worth every penny.
I only wish we had done it sooner.
silly Harrison & Jack
How have you made memories this summer? What is the best around-the-house memory you've created? I'm thinking pancakes in Jack's bed tomorrow morning...








My point I have been trying to make to close friends and family for years!!! I discovered this myself when Ariel was about 6. Buying her material things just get lost, broken and forgotten.....giving her an experience is something she has FOREVER =)
ReplyDeleteNow, of course, I apply this to our whole family. Hence our trip up to Mackinac next summer. I want to give them a taste of what I think about when I think of my young childhood. I am glad you and Jay learned this message as well.
We made a habit of bowling at the "local" bowling alley every Monday at noon (right when they open). It is air-conditioned, cheap, and relatively safe for me to sit and just watch without having to micro-parent them. Kids of all ages (from Corey's little pre-k age up to Ariel's teen friends) and their parents caught wind of it. It was nice to see different kids and families that we know just pop in there to bowl because they knew we would be there. Our kids had so much fun and couldn't wait to see who who show up that week- they really enjoyed their summer of bowling.
Abby -- What a good message to remember!
ReplyDeleteWell said!! We're a rather new family (have a 3 year old son) and I couldn't agree more about creating family memories!! This summer my son has really gotten into board games and lately (practically every night) it's been family 'candy lane' night. So fun....and my son virtually wins all the time!!
ReplyDeleteJenni- You're the second mama to tell me about the whole bowling in the summer gig. Next year for sure! Jack loves to bowl.
ReplyDeleteKara- Thanks! :-)
Fran- Games are the best! Have you tried Hi-Ho-Cherry-O? Thanks so much for visiting. You have a beautiful blog!
Very true, and a great reminder to be intentional with this sweet and fleeting "little kid" time. Its gone in a flash, or so I'm told. And two and half years in - I believe it!
ReplyDeleteHappy summertime!
S
We got the exact same timeshare spiel in Orlando this summer ~ and we had the same conversation about gifts! We opted to buy a family membership to the Children's Museum for Harper's birthday. She had already gotten so many presents from others and the membership will mean some great family time over the next year!
ReplyDeleteI grew up in a family that always took vacations together. It was never about having the coolest clothes or the best cars, but about spending time with each other. And, 30 years we are still doing the same, with extended family, as well. I can not wait to do that with my children some day.
ReplyDeleteOk, I'm glad you found me because during this visit to you, you're right -- kindred spirits indeed! Although, my husband and I DID fall for the timeshare pitch 17 years ago, just before we got married. It has been one of the best experiences because we have created memories with our girls and friends that will last them a lifetime. It's true -- it's what you do with the kids, not what you buy them that makes all the difference (and, the food you cook, of course!!) My girls are teenagers now and we still make it a priority to focus on memory building. Life is so short!
ReplyDeleteoh - such a lovely post. And yes, the message is so true - I love that you are blogging about the important stuff :)
ReplyDeleteBTW my husband and I sat through a seminar at disney just to get fast passes - you are not alone!! x
ReplyDeleteYour children will not remember the stuff you bought them, but they will remember the memories you created. I really like that. I dont think you need a timeshare to make memories. Timeshares are a poor investment. Its so hard to find timeshare relief. My parents always took us on vacation and I will never forget them.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThere are ups and downs about purchasing timeshare. There's always the opportunity for anyone to look for timeshare relief
ReplyDelete