I have never read a book this honest. This raw.
Often, we try to sugar coat our lives, and only reveal the best in ourselves, even to those we love. But in Shauna's second book, Bittersweet: Thoughts on Change, Grace, and Learning the Hard Way, she pours a bittersweet season of her life onto the pages. Bittersweet is a compilation of beautiful essays, that draw you in like an intimate friendship. Shauna focuses on such topics as infertility, moving, friendship, community, loss, faith, and the reality of marriage. But here's the thing: She somehow manages to pull you through the pages with tears and laughter. You want to keep reading, and are urgent for more.
This is the book you will read again and again and quote to your love, because they will wonder why you are laughing and crying. Then, you will email your friend with a quote, because it's too late to call and they don't have the book yet!
Bittersweet is a book for everyone, at every stage. It's a conversation with a friend that doesn't need to end. This quote was taken from the chapter titled, "Eight for Eight", discussing her group of girlfriends from high school. They each have very different lives and experiences: both bitter and sweet.
When I told Jenny I was pregnant this time, she texted back immediately that she was so happy for me, and that she wished she were pregnant, too. The honesty of that moment sliced me. I know she does, and I don't know why she hasn't yet found a person that's right for her to make a family with. Any man would be beyond lucky to make a family with her. When I talk with Jenny about it, I hear the deep yearning for something that hasn't yet come to be. We've all felt it, as different as our stories are.
In my most blind moments, I think that women without children live luxurious, carefree lives, filled with nothing but cosmopolitans, bikinis, and well-maintained highlights. I find that the phrase "She's let herself go" fills me with terror and guilt and panic as I look down at my jagged dirty fingernails and overly soft tummy. I am she, certainly. And then I realize that as much as I want my friend Jenny's abs, she wants a baby, and we're all yearning for something.
Everyone is yearning for something: the proposal, the dream job, the next step, or the body that does what is expected. As Jack starts school, and my pending birthday quickly approaches, I am thinking through whether my life has turned out as I expected. Yes, and no. It depends on when I was doing the "expecting." The first few years of our marriage had plenty of bitter, but now there is so much sweet, and I would not be able to appreciate all of the sweetness without those difficult seasons. In the same way, I have a whole new gratefulness for Holden after my miscarriage. As Shauna writes, "a life of nothing but sweetness rots both your teeth and your soul."
**Now the fun part! Zondervan Publishing Co. has offered to send one of my readers a signed copy of Bittersweet!**
Here is what you need to do to enter, and you can do that up to three times:
1) Leave a comment with the word BITTERSWEET.
2) Answer this question: Have the bittersweet experiences in your life made you the person you imagined or thought you would be?
3) Subscribe to my blog here, or share this giveaway on Facebook or Twitter, and let me know in your link.
A winner will be chosen at random, thanks to the joys of computer software.
Giveaway ends September 23, 2010.
To read more about Shauna, or check when she will be in your area for an event, click HERE. If you would like to buy yourself and all of your friends a copy of Bittersweet, click HERE.
.jpg)



I can not wait to win this book! Te he! Since my dad's passing, everything is BITTERSWEET! Those bitter moments make me the person I am, grateful for the little I have!
ReplyDeleteoh my, i was just thinking this morning how the sweetest parts of my life have been with a definite ending-point. always a season, never a change forever. and that is the bittersweet-but i wonder if it just makes me appreciate them more, knowing from the beginning that i will not always have this job/this season/this travel. maybe when we know things will end, and stop expecting the joy to go on forever, then we can really understand the bittersweet preciousness of those moments.
ReplyDeleteLoved her first book, can't wait to read Bittersweet! Those moments are the ones that have taught me about who I am and how to face the moments to come.
ReplyDeleteI am so much more amazing than I thought I would or could be BECAUSE of every single bittersweet moment. From living on my own at 16, to fighting my way through nursing school as a single mother, to falling in love and raising 3 children, to finding out that I have a spinal tumor......every single one made me ME!
ReplyDeleteBittersweet...A very thought provoking oxy-moron. Bitter by several definitions, only one of which refers to sharp, or biting to the taste; acrid; like wormwood, more often refers to pains in our lives ie: cruel; severe; as bitter emnity...Sharp, as words; reproachful; sarcastic...Sharp to the feeling; piercing; painful; that makes to smart; as a bitter cold day...Painful to the mind; calamitous; poignant; as a bitter fate...Afflicted; distressed...Hurtful; very sinful...Mournful; distressing; expressive of misery.
ReplyDeleteSweet,by contrast, is defined with much more pleasantries such as Agreeable or grateful to the taste; as sugar or honey is sweet...Pleasing to the smell; fragrant...Pleasing to the ear; soft; melodious; harmonious...Pleasing to the eye; beautiful...Fresh...Not sour...Mild; soft; gentle...Kind; obliging...Grateful; pleasing...Something pleasing to the mind, and son on.
Bittter-sweet, I learned today, refers to a slender climbing plant, whose root, when chewed, produces first a bitter, then a sweet taste.
When going through the bitterest moments in life, it seemed as if I were being chewed by the root and would inevitably wither, but in reality, I have come to realize that in time there is always a sweetness that comes (sometimes not as soon as I would like, nevertheless, worth the bitterness in the end). Those moments have molded, shaped, broken, and remolded who I am today...a vessel fit for service. If we don't chew through the bitterness for a time, we will nwver experience the true sweetness that can come from it.
I can't wait to read Bittersweet!
ReplyDeleteBittersweet! haha Wow this book sounds amazing. The hubs and I have been through a very trying couple of years. Him loosing his job FIVE times last year, me trying to launch and grow a company in a slumber economy, life threatening surgery and the diagnosis and later loss of our beloved family pet. Phew! All bittersweet. I have grown so much due to these events, and honestly would not change them. But boy are they hell to go through!
ReplyDeletexo
amanda
Just tweeted your post! (which is connected to my facebook page!)
Growing up Shauna was a huge influence to me, in our high school ministry. I felt so blessed getting to hear her words from stage, encouraging us to be bigger better people, bigger better adults later in life. Myself, out of college now began working with youth this last year, and when our youth pastor decided to follow her dreams and chase after her husband who had been living in another state for the last 8 months because of work, she choose the path of leaving our youth group to be with him. And while we whole heartedly supported her decision, it was bittersweet to say the least. So much so, that the day that she left, I ran to my car and grabbed Shauna's book and gave it to her, one youth worker to another I thought Shauna's words could help her in this trying time. So now I'm out searching for my replacement copy.
ReplyDeleteJenna
I love to read - sounds like this book BITTERSWEET would be one I would love!
ReplyDeleteI have subscribed to your blog via google reader ;.)
ReplyDeletekkfoster35 at msn dot com
What a great review! I too loved the book, immensely! I hope you don't mind, I posted a link to your giveaway from my blog :)
ReplyDeleteChristelle @ Beloved Mama
Life can be very BITTERSWEET. Totally agree that the bitter makes the sweet all the sweeter. Am I the person I imagined I would be? Yes and No. Some things we can control and some we can't. So, you've got to roll with the punches. Have I achieved the goals I set for myself? Yes. Was the pot of gold at the end of the tunnel all it was cracked up to be? No. Did I compromise myself for it? No. Not in the most important ways. The ways that I am not the person I imagined have to do with things I can't control like my mom dying. or even good things like attaining my goals. Wow. This is loaded question that has me going in all kinds of directions. I'm already a follower and loving it. by the way, I only stopped by to say thank you for all your kind comments. Love the book review and hope I win!
ReplyDeleteOh, isn't everything in life bittersweet? I love the title.
ReplyDeleteAnd not to be so heavy...but if we are being real....I am basically estranged from my family. This is mostly bitter, of course, but the only sweet part is it forces me to really trust in God, my husband and kids, and myself, because my family isn't there for me at all...never has been. The sweet part is it made me stronger.
i would love to win a copy of BITTERSWEET. it looks like an amazingly honest book.
ReplyDeletei think the bittersweet moments of life have made me change and grow into a different person than i thought i'd be. however, i think it's been good change. i'm stronger and more thankful than i might have been otherwise.
ReplyDeleteWow! I am truly humbled by your comments and your openness. I am going to try to reply to each of you individually. Good luck!
ReplyDeletewhat an awesome thing to write about. when talking with my girlfriends it always seems like her stories. we are always wanting what each other have but fall in love with what we have all over again.
ReplyDeletejust found your blog and i love it. great job :)
I think the last year has been bittersweet for my husband and I. God just keeps sustaining us through various trials (financial, family relationships, career and personal let downs), and we are learning to change our expectations and perspectives to eternal things and to be more generous than we ever have been, so I wouldn't trade these trials for anything!
ReplyDeleteAnd I am a follower of your blog!
tara noelle
Watching my children get older as time flies by faster and faster is always so bittersweet! And yes, these experience make us and shape us all!
ReplyDeleteFollowing!
The cover of Bittersweet alone just makes
ReplyDeleteme hungry : ) I'm a true believer that we are continually faced with great opportunities in life which are most often disguised as unsolvable problems.