9/9/10

I Started With Gold Pears

I have strong feelings about seasonal decor.  Actually, I have strong feelings about most things, but today, we are talking fall, people!  No matter what the season, I am not a fan of taking it literally.  There are some pieces at Micheal's and JoAnn's that make my skin crawl.  But I won't show you those.  Instead, let's talk about what I have done around our house for fall.  

I started with gold pears.  
I bought them from Target eight years ago, and they are still going strong.  I just move them from place to place in the house, depending on my mood.  

Remember the mantle before?
This is light, bright, and uncluttered.  I tend to lean toward a symmetrical mantle, but since our TV is to the left of our fireplace, I always skew the visual heaviness to the right.  {Does that even make sense?  I hope so!}

I knew I wanted to use the pears, but the shells and the bird would have to go.  And while I am not against mixing metals, the silver of the candlesticks felt too cool for fall.  They were out.  So I was back to just pears!  Here is take one of my fall look:
I found these glass hurricanes at Micheal's! They were the best deal in town at $20.00 a piece.  Other stores like Pier 1 and Pottery Barn are asking at least $25.00.  Plus, I was able to use the always helpful 40% off Micheal's coupon.  When it comes to a purchase that is classic and can be used again, I go for it!  I filled them with green pillar candles and a mix of acorns and pine cones.  A step up from shells and a bird, but not quit right.
So the hurricanes landed on the table.

Just pretend that you can't see the wrinkles in my runner and that it is perfectly ironed!
Back to the mantle.

To me, fall means a bit more rustic than usual, with plenty of natural elements like the pine cones.  I headed to my favorite store for inexpensive accessories, keeping in mind the rustic and natural look I wanted. Here is the finished product:


The wheat brings in the natural, and the candlesticks are rustic.  I love how the gold pears add a little sparkle and fanciness to my version of rustic.  I wish you could see it in person.  My camera skills do not give this all the credit it deserves in the context of the rest of our house.  There are many ways to go with seasonal decorating, and as with most elements of design, the look is in the details.  I hope you like what I have done!
If you would like to see more mantle talk, click here and here for ideas!

How do you add a touch of fall to your space?  Or do you veto seasonal decor all together?

I'm joining the "falling-up" party on Cottage and Vine!  Come visit the rest of the fall links here

10 comments:

  1. I love it!
    I'm not into a lot of the over-the-top fall decor stuff (like what I imagine you're referring to), so I really appreciate your lower-key approach. Love those gold pears.

    I'm really not feeling fall yet, so I'm holding off on decorating. Maybe until October, even.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most of the time is subscribe to the idea that less is more, but... fall is my favorite time of year. I love the warm colors of fall and can't help bringing them in my home! I think fall mantles are so warm, cozy and inviting. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love the new fall mantle look! I have some shells in some vases that I need to swap out as well. I am not for changing for the seasons but I like the acorn idea. I haven't felt like I needed to switch to fall yet, I have a large party happening on the 18th and I felt like I wasn't going to switch to fall before then but now I feel like I might have to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dining room wall color!! Everything looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your wall color is so fresh! And those pears are great - need to find some.

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby, I LOVE pears. I mean, yes, I love the fruit itself (particularly Barlett pears - nothing beats that kind!), but I REALLY love decorating with pears. I have a glass candy dish shaped like a pear. My mom has a whole bowl full of gold pears kind of like yours that I love. Anything pear-like is a magnet for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the golden pears. those could easily transition to christmas decor as well. with a pretty red runner or placed on a pretty platterish thing. i usually hate seasonal decor, but not like this, just the huge pumpkins that are half rotted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been overly concerned with seasonal decor in my own home, but I love how simply you were able to transform the look of yours. Maybe I'll give it a go this year.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails