Please share your best registry tips in the comments!
- Baby Bargains: Go buy this immediately. Consider that your guidebook to registering. It is like Consumer Reports plus parent feedback and I know it saved me a ton of money. Just be sure you are looking at the very latest edition. This can help you know what is worth saving and what is worth splurging.
- Peg Perego Vela: My favorite stroller--Ever. The first time around I went with the expected Graco Travel System. Because of course I wanted the matching car seat and stroller. But what I didn't realize was how often I would be hauling that stroller in and out of my trunk. It's like a couch on wheels and even the "Metrolite" version isn't that light. Peg Perego is a fabulous brand, made in Italy, and still reasonably priced. The Vela stroller is a combination of a regular stroller and an umbrella stroller. Added Bonus: most infant car seats will still fit in the stroller! The only downside is that your child will not face you once he outgrows his infant car seat.
- Double Stroller/Jogging Stroller: If you know you would like to have more than one child then save your pennies and pick the right stroller the first time. Phil & Teds are my highest recommendation. You can use it as a single stroller and then purchase the part to make it a double stroller later. Added bonus: it's a jogging stroller as well!
- Costco Wipes: Love 'em.
- Pack-n-Play or Bassinet: This really depends on how you are use your house. For me, having a pack-n-play with a changing station attachment was a life saver. We have a two-story house and being able to stay downstairs after a very difficult delivery was key. Also, when Holden wanted to sleep on me every night and I was sleeping on the couch, it was wonderful to be able to change him downstairs and not wake-up everyone else. BUT if your house is all one level and you know you'll only use your pack-n-play for travel you may only need something simple. I bought a barely used Bassinet to keep in our room for the pre-crib nights, but as I mentioned, Holden was SO tiny that he would only sleep on me. Never used the bassinet.
- Infant Car Seat: You need an infant car seat but you do not need the styles that boast they can hold up to 35 pounds. First of all, I can almost guarantee that your baby will be too tall/long for the infant seat before he weighs 35 pounds. Also, do you really want to carry a 35 lb. baby and the car seat around? No. If you buy one thing new make it the car seat. Never buy one at a garage sale or use one that has been in a car accident. They expire safety wise, the plastic on the hooks wears-out, the padding gets thin. This is your baby's safety we're talking about.
- Swing: I can not recommend a swing enough. They have been life savers with both of my boys. I have tried the Graco basic swing but nothing beats a cradle swing.
- Bouncy Seat: This is another case of knowing your needs. If you can register for one and borrow another one--do it. You might as well keep one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen. None of them are super cute, but this one kept Holden very happy and entertained as I cooked/cleaned/showered. It's nice if there is something for baby to play with or watch while they sit.
- Cloth Diapers or Disposable: I use disposable simply because of our 1000 year old washing machine in our spider ridden basement. I don't think it could handle all the poop. But if you are even considering choosing cloth diapers HERE is a very good resource on cloth diapering. This is another perspective.
- Breast Pump: If you are considering breastfeeding (and I really hope you do) you will more than likely need a breast pump. Don't mess around. Get one that
will suck like crazyis hospital grade. If you have insurance it's more than likely that your doctor can write you a prescription for a breast pump. If you are near west Michigan, this store is a great resource for all of your breastfeeding needs. They are also very familiar with how to bill the insurance companies. - Diaper Bag: You have so many options. Dwell Studio makes my favorite but there are also cute options by designers as well. For me, I wanted it to look more like a purse than sporting Winnie The Pooh around town. I have more than one friend who found Kate Spade diaper bags on Craig's List.
- Vaccines and Sleeping: This is something to think about and talk to your pediatrician BEFORE baby arrives. With Jack I did no research on vaccines and just followed whatever my doctor suggested. Five years later there are even more recommended vaccines, and you can read my post on that here. If you would like to read what worked for us as far as sleeping, click here.
Now it is your turn!
What are your "must haves" for baby and your best registry tips?
If you have not joined the Nursery Party yet click here.
If you don't have a nursery make a mood board to share or email me your nursery photos.



I LOVED the little gowns for my guys when they were 0-3 months. Being able to change the numerous diapers daily or in the middle of a sleep deprived state, WITHOUT having to mess with snaps was a blessing.
ReplyDeleteAbby, Which car seat did you go with once Jack was forward facing? (This is Andrea by the way)
ReplyDeleteI think you buy the biggest car seat (holds the most pounds}that is highly rated and will fit in you car. From what I understand, the longer they can be rear facing the better. My preference are the Britax car seats.
ReplyDeleteMy kids are 19 months and are still rear-facing...
ReplyDeleteAnyway, I don't have much different to say about registering. I completely agree with the baby bargains book. Neither of my kids liked the swing or bouncy seats. Once they were a bit older we have a kick n play bouncy that they liked. The soft, cozy, serene Eddie Bauer ones we had were at least sold on Craig's List for a decent price. All our rooms are on the main level so we didn't need a pack n play or another place change diapers, I still almost exclusively use their changing table (with disposables as well for the same reason!).
What about the awesome bath tub? That was such a great recommendation for me Abby! And Logan still loves that thing even though he barely fits in it.
ReplyDeleteI can't say enough amazing things about the swaddling blankets - that velcro closed and keep them snug as a bug - Sam used them every night and durring naps until he was almost 6 months old. He screamed getting into them at first then after a few weeks associated them with night night time - He slept amazing in them!
ReplyDeleteAlso, we never used a bassinet or cradle - he was swaddled up nice and cozy and slept in the crip from night 1.
I am with ya on the swing - they are a dream - and if you get nothing else - get a swing!!
We had the chicoo infant seat - amazing to get in and out of the car and even with the matching stroller- light weight and you didnt' need 3 hands a monkey to make it work together.
As for a 1 stop shop for car seats.
The evenflo 65 is AWESOME!!
Rear facing for infants from 5lbs up to 22lbs. It reclines back so its like a normal infant seat (just don't take it in and out of car) but then its forward facing, also can recline it some for long road trips...then it turns to a booster seat - the head rests adjusts to a growing toddler and for 199.00 you can use it from day 1 until 100lbs! And its all sorts of safety and side impact tested. So for those on a budget who want 1 multi-purpose seat - its the one!
Abby I love this topic - so great to hear of the new and exciting baby things and get to know what are keepers and what are a waste of $$.
- Krissy
The bathtub she is referring to is this one. I LOVE it. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fisher-Price-Rainforest-Bathtub/7695514
ReplyDeleteKrissy-
Thanks so much for sharing your favorites!!
I wore my babies whenever I could. It's not for everyone, but I liked the snuggles and it's great for church or shopping when you don't want to deal with a stroller/car seat.
ReplyDeleteMoby wrap, maya wrap, and Eurgo are my favs.
Swaddle blankets
Bouncy seat and/or swing
Glider (hey, I know they're not cool looking but at 3am that doesn't seem to matter)
My two are 15 months apart. I have the Baby Jogger City Elite Double Jogger. I found it at a second hand store for $200 (retails around $600 I think). I love it so much that I would have paid full price.
Two quality nursing bras and lots of grace for yourself and your baby :)
Fun post. T
We read Happiest Baby on the Block (and watched the DVD) - and made our own swaddle blankets from 1 1/2 yards Snuggle fabric from JoAnns. Actually, I talked my Aunt into seaming them -- but they were great fabrics (not too 'baby'), super easy to make, and less than $5 a blanket. They worked great -- we swaddled Lainey until well past 6 months old!
ReplyDeleteAlso, we loved the Sweet Peace swing from Fisher Price -- Lainey used it all the time - almost up to her first birthday.
We also loved our battery operated nasal aspirator ;)