We celebrated the last day of school at the zoo, with Jack's two teachers, and his classmates. Jay took the afternoon off of work, and joined us in the 95 degree heat to walk the John Ball Zoo with young fives and their parents. I was so glad he did! There are days when it is especially nice to have someone on your team, like your spouse. Both of Jack's teachers made strange comments, and I always feel like the "odd mom out" with the other moms, so it was nice to have someone to make eye-contact with when anything seemed weird. You know what I'm talking about. I used to think I was "normal" and relatively good at fitting "in." But the older I get, the more "out" I feel, and actually, I think I'm O.K. with that.
Jay took a group shot with a little extra hand.
Jack had a blast. He was so happy to have his whole family with him. It is so obvious, to me, by looking at this picture that they are father and son! Notice the Loch Ness Monster in the background? That was a piece from ArtPrize, and I was thrilled to see it installed at the zoo!
Holden did pretty well considering the heat. He has to wear a bib non-stop these days, hence the picture. He is a drool monster! I love his thoughtful gaze and his mile long eyelashes...and the double chin.
Have I mentioned it was HOT? Thankfully, my Main Man took Jack swimming "at his bank" so they could cool off. The bank just happens to be connected to the JW Marriott and their pool.
I vividly remember the outings we went on for the last day of school when I was growing up. Do you? What was your favorite?
**Update: two people have asked what Jack's teachers said. One mentioned that they "weren't sure about Jack at the beginning of the year but that it turned out great." The other said "he's come along way." **
I wasn't feeling well for the whole afternoon, so my time with Corie and her living room was shot, but I hope to finish before or during the weekend.


I can totally relate to what you said in your blog post about thinking you were a person who could easily fit in with others because we are "normal" but finding in social situations with other moms, that you feel like the odd one out. I have had the exact same feelings, and I agree, that I'm ok with it. I'm just glad to hear someone else like you has had the same experience, because I wondered what was going on. It was like the twilight zone for me. Where did the girls our age we would have been friends with in college go, and where did these other moms come from, and why can't they relate to us? We are so relatable.
ReplyDelete